P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Political Asylum (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Caroline Kennedy (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=24728)

theknife 16-12-08 04:23 PM

Caroline Kennedy

i mean, like, huh? other than her last name, what possibly qualifies her for a Senate appointment? where has she been for the last 8 years? not a peep out of her while Bush ran the country over a cliff, but now that the playing field is tilted in her direction, she decides she wants to be a Senator - the easy way. i hope not.

AFJROTC_c/SSgt 17-12-08 02:24 PM

2010 here we come...

JackSpratts 17-12-08 04:05 PM

free senate seats brings out the egomaniacs, you know, the ones who are "entitled" to serve a six year term but who could never be bothered to run. for anything. ever.

indeed, where were they all when we needed zoning officers, councilpeople, state reps, county commissioners...

the joke is, whoever is given the seat will have run in '10 and again in '12. ouch.

- js.

pisser 18-12-08 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknife (Post 263944)
i mean, like, huh? other than her last name, what possibly qualifies her for a Senate appointment? where has she been for the last 8 years? not a peep out of her while Bush ran the country over a cliff, but now that the playing field is tilted in her direction, she decides she wants to be a Senator - the easy way. i hope not.

Why, the same thing that qualifies Arnold, Ronnie, Jessie!

Celebrities!

Last time I checked, they eat and shit like the rest of us. Qualifications be damned!

Fukkin infatuation with celebs, I'll never get it.

theknife 18-12-08 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pisser (Post 263957)
Why, the same thing that qualifies Arnold, Ronnie, Jessie!

Celebrities!

Last time I checked, they eat and shit like the rest of us. Qualifications be damned!

Fukkin infatuation with celebs, I'll never get it.

yeah, but i give those guys credit for actually running - you know, the hard part like campaigning, asking for votes, fund raising, debating etc - Caroline Kennedy would like to skip all that nonsense and be appointed. not quite the same thing.

theknife 21-12-08 04:25 PM

so is it fair to compare Caroline Kennedy with Sarah Palin?
Quote:

WASHINGTON - A Democratic congressman compared Caroline Kennedy to Sarah Palin, saying the would-be senator hasn't proved she has the "guts and the gumption" to succeed Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Rep. Gary Ackerman of Queens said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday that the Kennedy legend and connections won't be enough to make her a successful senator if Gov. David Paterson appoints her to the U.S. Senate.

"Everyone knows who she is, but I'm not sure what she is," said Ackerman. "Eventually she has to get in the ring, and face the public."
agreed - this "listening tour" bullshit means basically she's not ready for prime time... and the way she's getting hustled around by aides and dodging questions is indeed very Palin-like. you'd think a candidate trying to appeal to a strong Democratic constituency would be bending over backwards to avoid a comparison like that (for example, why isn't she on Face The Nation herself?)...there's a lot of people who buy into the Kennedy mythology, but for anybody under 40, all that Camelot stuff just doesn't ring a bell.

JackSpratts 21-12-08 10:56 PM

hey, if palin wants to represent alaska that's alaska's problem isn't it? my problem with palin was she was going to represent me, and possibly as job one president. huge difference there. kennedy becomes a us senator from ny she won't be #1, she'll be 1 of 100 and may very well grow into the job, but if not the good voters of ny can dump her in less than 24 months. she's going to have to run in '10, and again in '12. that's a gruelling schedule. palin on the other hand would have been vp (and president of the senate) for four years after just a few months of campaigning and she was totally unqualified and disturbingly proud of her ignorance. putting aside executive experience or lack thereof (the entire state of alaska has 33% fewer residents than my county and wasalia has half the population of just 1 of my town's seven wards) you can't compare the two women. but we shall see. we shouldn't get get too carried away on kennedy. congress is filled with legacy members, appointed or otherwise who wouldn't be there if not for their names, including bush's father who himself was the son of a senator. has always been this way. sonny bono's widow mary "won" his house seat in a special election following his death. remember her? she brought us the micky mouse, er sony bono copyright extension act. a republican, she's still there. most of this anti-kennedy chatter is sour grapes from ny challengers or republicans who never seem to complain about thier own party appointments.

- js.

theknife 22-12-08 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSpratts (Post 263988)
we shouldn't get get too carried away on kennedy. congress is filled with legacy members, appointed or otherwise who wouldn't be there if not for their names, including bush's father who himself was the son of a senator. has always been this way. sonny bono's widow mary "won" his house seat in a special election following his death. remember her? she brought us the micky mouse, er sony bono copyright extension act. a republican, she's still there. - js.

that's the pretty much sums up the problem with Senatorial appointees - they can be hard to get rid of...incumbency, however brief, is a huge advantage.

the Palin comparison was specific to the way she's being "handled", btw. fair or not, if she ducks the press a la Palin, she's going to invite the comparison.

JackSpratts 22-12-08 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknife (Post 263996)
that's the pretty much sums up the problem with Senatorial appointees - they can be hard to get rid of...incumbency, however brief, is a huge advantage.

the Palin comparison was specific to the way she's being "handled", btw. fair or not, if she ducks the press a la Palin, she's going to invite the comparison.

i can see your point, but to be truly fair to her she isn't exactly a candidate like palin was. all she is is someone who would consider the job. hell, i'd consider the job. but it's all moot until paterson leaks his intentions. if he leans towards appointing her, and she ducks the press, the comparison will be more apt. long before that happens however you'll be hearing from her. i expect so much so you'll tire of it. or i will. sheez, i already am.

- js.

theknife 30-12-08 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSpratts (Post 263997)
i expect so much so you'll tire of it. or i will. sheez, i already am.

- js.

well, if she just coasted into the seat, it wouldn't be much fun. however, let's not underestimate the entertainment value of going down in flames.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US Senate hopeful Caroline Kennedy Tuesday drew stinging criticism over her weekend interviews after weeks of silence, with many lampooning her as a clumsy and unfocused speaker.

"Caroline's, um, no whiz with words," said the New York Daily News -- one of the kinder cuts in a stream of skewerings in US media and political blogs since her interviews with New York newspapers and television outlets.

Kennedy's press interviews -- the first after the scion of America's most famous political dynasty made it known that she was seeking out the New York seat to be vacated when Hillary Clinton is confirmed secretary of state -- drew ridicule from pundits, newspapers and bloggers.

theknife 21-01-09 06:46 PM

oh well

Quote:

CAROLINE KENNEDY ENDS SENATE SEAT BID

Caroline Kennedy has told Gov. David Paterson that she is withdrawing her name from consideration to replace outgoing Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in the U.S. Senate, The Post has learned.

Kennedy cited "personal reasons," according to sources.
"personal reasons" like maybe it wasn't going to be such a walk in the park, after all (specially when it comes to the nitty gritty of things like complete financial disclosure) anyway. probably just as well - who's next in line?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01212009...bid_151234.htm

JackSpratts 21-01-09 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknife (Post 264183)
oh well

"personal reasons" like maybe it wasn't going to be such a walk in the park, after all (specially when it comes to the nitty gritty of things like complete financial disclosure) anyway. probably just as well - who's next in line?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01212009...bid_151234.htm

andrew coumo. son of a gov and the present ag. and not to be morbid but her uncle isn't doing well. that may a big factor.

albed 22-01-09 03:26 PM

Oh, does she think she's a brain surgeon now?

Drowning Man won't get any better because his niece tucks her tail.

(Or maybe she smells another senate seat to be had.)

What she really needs is the traditional Kennedy drug and alcohol abuse history.

Brings in the sympathy vote like Bill did for Hillary.

Or sobbing over a deceased uncle might work.