P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Political Asylum (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   the Downing St. memos (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=21521)

theknife 11-05-05 09:53 PM

the Downing St. memos

the Downing St. memo just confirms what most of us already knew, even though some of us will never admit it:

Quote:

Memo: Bush manipulated Iraq intel

May 9, 2005
WASHINGTON - A highly classified British memo, leaked in the midst of Britain's just-concluded election campaign, indicates that President George W. Bush decided to overthrow Iraqi President Saddam Hussein by summer 2002 and was determined to ensure that U.S. intelligence data supported his policy.

so any way you look at it the case for invading Iiraq was rigged.

Quote:

The memo said, "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."
if the facts and intelligence were being fixed around policy, then the Prez took the country to war with false and/or misleading info - and he knew it. isn't that an impeachable offense?

Quote:

the newly disclosed memo, which was first reported by the Sunday Times of London, hasn't been disavowed by the British government. The British Embassy in Washington did not respond to requests for comment.

A former senior U.S. official called it "an absolutely accurate description of what transpired" during the senior British intelligence officer's visit to Washington. He spoke on condition of anonymity

A White House official said the administration wouldn't comment on leaked British docments.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...tics-headlines

floydian slip 12-05-05 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:W:

albed 12-05-05 05:39 AM

Y A W N....

Saddam refused to comply with UN mandates or his surrender terms from 1991.:zzz:

theknife 12-05-05 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albed
Saddam refused to comply with UN mandates or his surrender terms from 1991.:zzz:

this is what the President was selling:

~ Aluminum artillery tubes misdiagnosed as nuclear related;
~ Forgeries alleging Iraqi attempts to obtain uranium in Africa;
~ Tall tales from a drunken defector about mobile biological weapons laboratories;
~ Bogus warnings that Iraqi forces could fire WMD-tipped missiles within 45 minutes of an order to do so;
~ Dodgy dossiers fabricated in London; and
~ A U.S. National Intelligence Estimate thrown in for good measure.

all of it bogus and he knew it. not as juicy as a blow job in the oval office but twice as illegal and 10 times more immoral.

run along now -- the flock is calling you.

Mazer 12-05-05 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknife
if the facts and intelligence were being fixed around policy, then the Prez took the country to war with false and/or misleading info - and he knew it. isn't that an impeachable offense?

Presidents get impeached for breaking the law. If he had perjured himself before a grand jury that would be one thing, but where does the law state that it's illegal to manipulate public opinion?

You make it sound like lying politicians are a new trend that needs to be stopped before it beocmes too prevalent. You make it sound like perjury in federal court, leaking classified documents, and trashing people's reputations is somehow morally superior to making war on false pretenses. Beleive me, if Bush was using policy to guide his military decisions he learned that trick from Clinton whose actions in Somalia, the Balkans, Sudan, and Iraq sacrificed thousands of people for the sake of boosting his public approval rating.

The president shouldn't have to lie to people to get them to do the right thing. The legitimate reasons for the war in Iraq are far better than the ones these memos allude to.

theknife 13-05-05 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazer
Presidents get impeached for breaking the law. If he had perjured himself before a grand jury that would be one thing, but where does the law state that it's illegal to manipulate public opinion?

You make it sound like lying politicians are a new trend that needs to be stopped before it beocmes too prevalent. You make it sound like perjury in federal court, leaking classified documents, and trashing people's reputations is somehow morally superior to making war on false pretenses. Beleive me, if Bush was using policy to guide his military decisions he learned that trick from Clinton whose actions in Somalia, the Balkans, Sudan, and Iraq sacrificed thousands of people for the sake of boosting his public approval rating.

The president shouldn't have to lie to people to get them to do the right thing. The legitimate reasons for the war in Iraq are far better than the ones these memos allude to.

in this particular context, comparisons to Clinton are irrelevant. but if the president lied to take the country to war, then he is as impeachable as clinton was:

-Providing misinformation to the United Nations Security Council, Congress, and the American people overstating the offensive capabilities of Iraq, including weapons of mass destruction, as justification for military action against Iraq.
-Repeatedly manipulating the sentiments of the American people by erroneously linking Iraq with the terrorist attacks of September 11th by Al-Qaeda.
-Repeatedly claiming that satellite photos of sites in Iraq depicted factories for weapons of mass destruction in contradiction with the results of ground inspections by United Nations teams.
-Providing the International Atomic Energy Commission with forged documents describing the sale of uranium to Iraq by Niger, and referring to that sale in the State of the Union Address after being told by the CIA that the documents were forged.

malvachat 13-05-05 06:15 AM

Quote:

Y A W N....

You really must try to get more sleep Albed.
I think it's beginning to effect your judgement.
You seem to be getting more and more confused.
Breaking UN mandates is not a reason for war.
If that was the case we would have invaded Israel years ago.
Now be a good boy,stop making a noise and go to sleep now.

:KSY:

albed 13-05-05 01:54 PM

I guess following me around and trolling is better than spreading terrorist propaganda.

You must really miss masturbating though.

Try learning instead. Start with the Korean War.

theknife 13-05-05 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com/

Mazer 13-05-05 05:54 PM

"Take Action"

Sure, just let me put some finishing touches on my time machine and we'll go back and stop the war from happening. But if anyone has any reasonable suggestions for "action" I'm willing to hear them. Other than signing petitions and complaining loudly, what are we hoping to accomplish here?

floydian slip 13-05-05 06:18 PM

The P+++++T ACT has made many of my suggestions questionable/illegal. ;)

Our current two party system needs to be purged of everyone somehow(legally). We need to convince the rest of the Ameicans about this. It starts at home. I consider this place my home on the internet.

Quote:

what are we hoping to accomplish here?
Informing. Venting. Letting our opinions out for all the world to see.

Can I have a ride on your time machine?

theknife 13-05-05 08:19 PM

Quote:

"Take Action"

Sure, just let me put some finishing touches on my time machine and we'll go back and stop the war from happening. But if anyone has any reasonable suggestions for "action" I'm willing to hear them. Other than signing petitions and complaining loudly, what are we hoping to accomplish here?

how about some accountability?

if the Downing St. memo is accurate (and the British government says it is), then we have a president who took us to war under false pretenses with fake documents and bogus evidence, misused the intelligence, repeatedly lied about his intentions, grossly underestimated the cost, miscalculated the opposition, and completely failed to plan for the aftermath of the invasion - all of this at a cost of thousands of US casualties and billions of dollars.

should there be no accountability for the gross incompetence (at least), if not dishonesty, of your leaders? how many US soldiers have to get killed for this lie (about 1600 so far - that's one thousand and six hundred Americans, kids most of them) before otherwise decent people like yourself say "enough"? the cost is going to top $500 billion by 2010 (that's half a trillion dollars) - money incompetently committed under false pretenses....do you really think no one should ask how "how the f@$k did we did get here?"

specifically, the entire iraq fiasco should be publicly dissected and investigated with a fine-tooth comb, if for no other reason than to ensure that it never happens again like this. and if there are impeachable offenses here, then so be it.

Mazer 13-05-05 11:41 PM

Well alright, site the law he broke and I'll get on the impeach Bush campaign with you. But you have to convince me that Bush had the means, the motive, and the opportunity to do such a thing. You probably already have answers for what he did and how he did it, but can you answer why? Bush didn't need to lie to get us into this war, so why would he want to?

All joking aside, there would be a solid case against the president if there were more evidence than one suspiciously leaked memo from a foreign intelligence agency. Given this administration's mountains of deniability I doubt you'll get any resolution that you'll be satisfied enough to call 'accountability.' Sorry to disappoint you.

malvachat 14-05-05 03:08 AM

Quote:

I guess following me around and trolling is better than spreading terrorist propaganda.

You must really miss masturbating though.

Try learning instead. Start with the Korean War.

Come on now,you don't think I'm following you,do you?
Don't be frightend now,nasty man won't hurt you.

"miss masturbating"
Where is she?
Is she a troller too?

"Start with the Korean War"
I'll have a read up,I was too young at that time.
Did you win that one all on your own?

theknife 16-05-05 05:03 AM

How we got f#$cked by our leaders, from today's NYT:

Quote:

Is there any point, now that November's election is behind us, in revisiting the history of the Iraq war? Yes: any path out of the quagmire will be blocked by people who call their opponents weak on national security, and portray themselves as tough guys who will keep America safe. So it's important to understand how the tough guys made America weak.

There has been notably little U.S. coverage of the "Downing Street memo" - actually the minutes of a British prime minister's meeting on July 23, 2002, during which officials reported on talks with the Bush administration about Iraq. But the memo, which was leaked to The Times of London during the British election campaign, confirms what apologists for the war have always denied: the Bush administration cooked up a case for a war it wanted.

Here's a sample: "Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and W.M.D. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."

Why did the administration want to invade Iraq, when, as the memo noted, "the case was thin" and Saddam's "W.M.D. capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea, or Iran"? Iraq was perceived as a soft target; a quick victory there, its domestic political advantages aside, could serve as a demonstration of American military might, one that would shock and awe the world.

But the Iraq war has, instead, demonstrated the limits of American power, and emboldened our potential enemies. Why should Kim Jong Il fear us, when we can't even secure the road from Baghdad to the airport?

At this point, the echoes of Vietnam are unmistakable. Reports from the recent offensive near the Syrian border sound just like those from a 1960's search-and-destroy mission, body count and all. Stories filed by reporters actually with the troops suggest that the insurgents, forewarned, mostly melted away, accepting battle only where and when they chose.

Meanwhile, America's strategic position is steadily deteriorating.

Next year, reports Jane's Defense Industry, the United States will spend as much on defense as the rest of the world combined. Yet the Pentagon now admits that our military is having severe trouble attracting recruits, and would have difficulty dealing with potential foes - those that, unlike Saddam's Iraq, might pose a real threat.

In other words, the people who got us into Iraq have done exactly what they falsely accused Bill Clinton of doing: they have stripped America of its capacity to respond to real threats.

So what's the plan?

The people who sold us this war continue to insist that success is just around the corner, and that things would be fine if the media would just stop reporting bad news. But the administration has declared victory in Iraq at least four times. January's election, it seems, was yet another turning point that wasn't.

Yet it's very hard to discuss getting out. Even most of those who vehemently opposed the war say that we have to stay on in Iraq now that we're there.

In effect, America has been taken hostage. Nobody wants to take responsibility for the terrible scenes that will surely unfold if we leave (even though terrible scenes are unfolding while we're there). Nobody wants to tell the grieving parents of American soldiers that their children died in vain. And nobody wants to be accused, by an administration always ready to impugn other people's patriotism, of stabbing the troops in the back.

But the American military isn't just bogged down in Iraq; it's deteriorating under the strain. We may already be in real danger: what threats, exactly, can we make against the North Koreans? That John Bolton will yell at them? And every year that the war goes on, our military gets weaker.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/16/op...rugman.html?hp

the recruiting problem mentioned above is particularly telling: last month's recruitment goals were missed by 40%. so how come all the chickenhawks, like Rush Limbaugh & Hannity aren't out there asking people to enlist? how come you never hear the prez, the VP, or Rumsfeld trying to pump up the public to sign themselves or their kids up for this war?

it's because they can no longer give out the "fighting in Iraq for our freedom" spiel without looking like fricking idiots, and they know it. they don't want to call attention to the fact that Iraq is a one-way to ticket to hell and they helped create it.

multi 16-05-05 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

it's because they can no longer give out the "fighting in Iraq for our freedom" spiel without looking like fricking idiots, and they know it. they don't want to call attention to the fact that Iraq is a one-way to ticket to hell and they helped create it.

our PM and his lackeys dont mind looking like idiots then
howard was there during 911
i have believed since then he has known full well about the whole charade..

now this whole shady business is coming out into the open...i wonder how they will sidetrack the issue over here..
US ,UK &AUS are up to their armpits in the BS they have created to justify their war for terror

the arabs think flushing of korans happen on a daily basis now..

floydian slip 16-05-05 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multi
now this whole shady business is coming out into the open...i wonder how they will sidetrack the issue over here..
US ,UK &AUS are up to their armpits in the BS they have created to justify their war for terror

nothing like a terror event and a new war to keep our sleepy sheep in the dark

Quote:

Originally Posted by multi
the arabs think flushing of korans happen on a daily basis now..

Breaking News by Rossputin

In their upcoming Monday edition (dated 5/23), Newsweek now says they can not verify their story that there were incidents of "Qur'an desecration" at Guantanamo. Those charges were the apparent cause of riots in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Indonesia that left dozens dead and many more injured in the past week.

http://www.legendgames.net/showstory.../WN0000145.txt

malvachat 17-05-05 06:47 AM

"nothing like a terror event and a new war to keep our sleepy sheep in the dark"

What a wonderful way to put things.
I think to goes to the heart of the problem we all face.
Getting a different view out to people.
Then again you can lead sheep to water,can't make them drink.
Then again if they're week,they're easier to fleece.

theknife 17-05-05 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydian slip
In their upcoming Monday edition (dated 5/23), Newsweek now says they can not verify their story that there were incidents of "Qur'an desecration" at Guantanamo. Those charges were the apparent cause of riots in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Indonesia that left dozens dead and many more injured in the past week.

funny you should bring that up...

Quote:

(White House Press Secretary) MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I find it puzzling that Newsweek now acknowledges that the facts were wrong, and they refuse to offer a retraction. There is a certain journalistic standard that should be met, and in this case it was not met. The report was not accurate, and it was based on a single anonymous source who cannot personally substantiate the report, so the -- so they cannot verify the accuracy of the report. White House Press Gaggle - 4/15/05
here we have the White House lecturing Newsweek on their lack of judgement for running with this story based on a single, unverified source. Scott McClellan has a short memory; it was about a year he was trying to justify Bush taking the whole country to war, based on several single unverified sources:

Quote:

QUESTION: Does it concern the President that the primary source for the intelligence on the mobile biological weapons labs was a guy that U.S. intelligence never even interviewed?
MCCLELLAN: Well, again, all these issues will be looked at as part of a broad review by the independent commission that the President appointed… But it's important that we look at what we learn on the ground and compare that
with what we believed prior to going into Iraq.

[White House Press Gaggle, 4/5/04]
the White House is also criticizing Newsweek for a lack of accountability:

Quote:

QUESTION: He's the president of the United States. This thing he told the country on the verge of taking the nation to war has turned out to be, by your own account, not reliable. That's his fault, isn't it?
MCCLELLAN: No.

[White House Press Briefing, 7/17/03]
ironic, ain't it?

Nicobie 17-05-05 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malvachat
"nothing like a terror event and a new war to keep our sleepy sheep in the dark"

What a wonderful way to put things.
I think to goes to the heart of the problem we all face.
Getting a different view out to people.
Then again you can lead sheep to water,can't make them drink.
Then again if they're week,they're easier to fleece.

One more time malvo cut thru the chit.

theknife 28-05-05 04:51 PM

what's the opposite of accountability?

Quote:

Analysts Behind Iraq Intelligence Were Rewarded

By Walter Pincus
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 28, 2005; Page A01

Two Army analysts whose work has been cited as part of a key intelligence failure on Iraq -- the claim that aluminum tubes sought by the Baghdad government were most likely meant for a nuclear weapons program rather than for rockets -- have received job performance awards in each of the past three years, officials said.

The civilian analysts, former military men considered experts on foreign and U.S. weaponry, work at the Army's National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC), one of three U.S. agencies singled out for particular criticism by President Bush's commission that investigated U.S. intelligence.

The Army analysts concluded that it was highly unlikely that the tubes were for use in Iraq's rocket arsenal, a finding that bolstered a CIA contention that they were destined for nuclear centrifuges, which was in turn cited by the Bush administration as proof that Saddam Hussein was reconstituting Iraq's nuclear weapons program.

The problem, according to the commission, which cited the two analysts' work, is that they did not seek or obtain information available from the Energy Department and elsewhere showing that the tubes were indeed the type used for years as rocket-motor cases by Iraq's military. The panel said the finding represented a "serious lapse in analytic tradecraft" because the center's personnel "could and should have conducted a more exhaustive examination of the question."

Pentagon spokesmen said the awards for the analysts were to recognize their overall contributions on the job over the course of each year. But some current and former officials, including those who called attention to the awards, said the episode shows how the administration has failed to hold people accountable for mistakes on prewar intelligence.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052701618.html

theknife 28-05-05 08:37 PM

incidentally, if you feel, as i do, that the Downing St. memo raises questions that your government should answer, go to here to sign the following letter, sponsored by Michigan Congressman John Conyers:

Quote:

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States of America
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005

Dear Mr. President:

We the undersigned write to you because of our concern regarding recent disclosures of a “Downing Street Memo” in the London Times, comprising the minutes of a meeting of Prime Minister Tony Blair and his top advisers. These minutes indicate that the United States and Great Britain agreed to by the summer of 2002 to attack Iraq, well before the invasion and before you even sought Congressional authority to engage in military action, and that U.S. officials were deliberately manipulating intelligence to justify the war.

Among other things, the British government document quotes a high-ranking British official as stating that by July, 2002, “Bush had made up his mind to take military action.” Yet, a month later, the you stated you were still willing to “look at all options” and that there was “no timetable” for war. Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, flatly stated that “[t]he president has made no such determination that we should go to war with Iraq.”

In addition, the origins of the false contention that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction remains a serious and lingering question about the lead up to the war. There is an ongoing debate about whether this was the result of a “massive intelligence failure,” in other words a mistake, or the result of intentional and deliberate manipulation of intelligence to justify the case for war. The memo appears to resolve that debate as well, quoting the head of British intelligence as indicating that in the United States “the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy.”

As a result of these concerns, we would ask that you respond to the following questions:
1) Do you or anyone in your administration dispute the accuracy of the leaked document?
2) Were arrangements being made, including the recruitment of allies, before you sought Congressional authorization to go to war? Did you or anyone in your Administration obtain Britain’’s commitment to invade prior to this time?
3) Was there an effort to create an ultimatum about weapons inspectors in order to help with the justification for the war as the minutes indicate?
4) At what point in time did you and Prime Minister Blair first agree it was necessary to invade Iraq?
5) Was there a coordinated effort with the U.S. intelligence community and/or British officials to “fix” the intelligence and facts around the policy as the leaked document states?

These are the same questions 89 Members of Congress, led by Rep. John Conyers, Jr., submitted to you on May 5, 2005. As citizens and taxpayers, we believe it is imperative that our people be able to trust our government and our commander in chief when you make representations and statements regarding our nation engaging in war. As a result, we would ask that you publicly respond to these questions as promptly as possible.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

albed 29-05-05 08:37 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Petty Deluded
Insignificant
Ankle Biters
Let's see how promptly they get the attention they desperately seek.

theknife 30-05-05 06:08 AM

from the Memorial Day editorial page of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

Quote:

Nothing young Americans can do in life is more honorable than offering themselves for the defense of their nation. It requires great selflessness and sacrifice, and quite possibly the forfeiture of life itself. On Memorial Day 2005, we gather to remember all those who gave us that ultimate gift. Because they are so fresh in our minds, those who have died in Iraq make a special claim on our thoughts and our prayers.

In exchange for our uniformed young people's willingness to offer the gift of their lives, civilian Americans owe them something important: It is our duty to ensure that they never are called to make that sacrifice unless it is truly necessary for the security of the country. In the case of Iraq, the American public has failed them; we did not prevent the Bush administration from spending their blood in an unnecessary war based on contrived concerns about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. President Bush and those around him lied, and the rest of us let them. Harsh? Yes. True? Also yes. Perhaps it happened because Americans, understandably, don't expect untruths from those in power. But that works better as an explanation than as an excuse.

The "smoking gun," as some call it, surfaced on May 1 in the London Times. It is a highly classified document containing the minutes of a July 23, 2002, meeting at 10 Downing Street in which Sir Richard Dearlove, head of Britain's Secret Intelligence Service, reported to Prime Minister Tony Blair on talks he'd just held in Washington. His mission was to determine the Bush administration's intentions toward Iraq.

At a time when the White House was saying it had "no plans" for an invasion, the British document says Dearlove reported that there had been "a perceptible shift in attitude" in Washington. "Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy. The (National Security Council) had no patience with the U.N. route, and no enthusiasm for publishing material on the Iraqi regime's record. There was little discussion in Washington of the aftermath after military action."

It turns out that former counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke and former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill were right. Both have been pilloried for writing that by summer 2002 Bush had already decided to invade.

theknife 07-06-05 09:07 PM

the prez responds

finally:

Quote:

"There's nothing farther from the truth," Mr. Bush said in his first public comments about the so-called Downing Street memo, which has created anger among the administration's critics who see it as evidence that the president was intent to go to war with Iraq earlier than the White House has said.

"Look, both of us didn't want to use our military," Mr. Bush added. "Nobody wants to commit military into combat. It's the last option."

Mr. Blair, standing at Mr. Bush's side in a joint news conference in the East Room of the White House, said, "No, the facts were not being fixed in any shape or form at all."
of course not. it was our last option. we really had no choice whatsoever. but Blair doesn't look to happy...

Quote:

Mr. Blair, generally unsmiling through the 25-minute news conference, went home after dinner at the White House on Tuesday night with much less than he had wanted.
hmmm...how could Blair fail to be inspired by the President's words?

Quote:

"Glad you're here," Mr. Bush said to Mr. Blair. "Congratulations on your great victory. It was a landmark victory, and I'm really thrilled to be able to work with you to be able to spread freedom and peace over the next years."
maybe Tony is spreading all the peace and freedom he can handle in Iraq and he'd really like to move on to other problems like aid to Africa and global warming. hopefully, these issues can wait til we're done spreading peace and freedom.

Mazer 07-06-05 09:48 PM

Quote:

maybe Tony is spreading all the peace and freedom he can handle in Iraq and he'd really like to move on to other problems like aid to Africa and global warming. hopefully, these issues can wait til we're done spreading peace and freedom.

Nah, we can leave African hunger and global warming up to Hollywood to fix, they seem to know a lot about it and the Lord knows they can certainly afford to fix it.

floydian slip 08-06-05 02:07 AM

too bad there is no oil in zimbabwe, sudan, somalia ect. or exxonmobil would be there to "FIX" things.

Sinner 08-06-05 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydian slip
too bad there is no oil in zimbabwe, sudan, somalia ect. or exxonmobil would be there to "FIX" things.

If there was oil there what would need to be fixed??? Countries with oil are not poor. Their people live pretty well, aslong as a murderous rapist like Saddam is not in power that is.

theknife 08-06-05 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinner
...as long as a murderous rapist like Saddam is not in power that is.

which apparently is a good thing, as long as someone else has to go get rid of him.

miss_silver 08-06-05 09:12 PM

Quote:

which apparently is a good thing, as long as someone else has to go get rid of him.

Hear, hear, you are so right TheKnife. So easy to say you back up some retard's decision but so easy to enjoy the protection of the Canadian citizenship. It's not like he's gonna get drafted if your gov becomes desperate for soldiers to fight this war. It's truly easy to complain when you are totally secured and not submitted to the rules of a gouv that doesn't have power over you.

Sinner 09-06-05 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_silver
Hear, hear, you are so right TheKnife. So easy to say you back up some retard's decision but so easy to enjoy the protection of the Canadian citizenship. It's not like he's gonna get drafted if your gov becomes desperate for soldiers to fight this war. It's truly easy to complain when you are totally secured and not submitted to the rules of a gouv that doesn't have power over you.

LOL---Very funny post!!!!!

Would you like me to quote your past posts you have made about America or their President you hypocrite, First I could not be drafted anyway, I am over the age limit for one and I have tried to join the military but I have a respiratory condition and I failed the medical. Which I will say pissed me off more then anything that has happened in my life seeing it really was not a real problem, to me anyways. ----I am just going to stop because I am just wasting my time with this post.

miss_silver 09-06-05 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
eh???

Mazer 09-06-05 10:16 PM

Ah, to be deaf and smug is pure happiness, no?

albed 10-06-05 07:19 PM

No need to hear others when you know everything.

Except what you need to know most.

theknife 10-06-05 08:12 PM

Quote:

No need to hear others when you know everything.

Except what you need to know most.

sadly true. hopefully the next president won't be so tragically flawed.

but this explains a lot:

Quote:

One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief. My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it. If I have a chance to invade, if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency. - George Bush, as told to Mickey Herskowitz, 1999 A Charge to Keep : My Journey to the White House
obviously, the Prez decided a long time ago that launching and waging war, preferably in Iraq, was a prerequisite to being a great president. he got all the political capital he needed on 9/11 and spent it in Iraq.

Quote:

As told to Herskowitz, Bush and his advisors were quite impressed -- politically speaking, of course -- with the minor military victories of British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (the Falklands War) and former presidents Ronald Reagan and dear old dad (the first Gulf War was a bad scene, as mentioned, but the Grenada and Panama “campaigns” were terrific political coups). Said Herskowitz of Bush & Co.’s view of Thatcher: "They were just absolutely blown away, just enthralled by the scenes of the troops coming back, of the boats, people throwing flowers at her and her getting these standing ovations in Parliament and making these magnificent speeches." Looking back further, they believed Jimmy Carter's political troubles emerged as the inherent result of a peaceful presidency.
ah, this explains Cheney's "dancing in the streets of Baghdad, greeting us as liberators" fantasy.

Quote:

So what a successful presidency came down to for Bush, according to Herskowitz, was this: “Start a small war. Pick a country where there is justification you can jump on, go ahead and invade.” Once accomplished the chief executive will have secured the support needed for ramming through his domestic agenda. Seen through this lens, then, 9/11 for George W. Bush wasn’t so much tragedy as opportunity. He had his “chance to invade.”
which is why the Downing St. documents Minutes (they are actually not a memo, but rather minutes of a meeting with the head of British intelligence) dovetail perfectly with every aspect of the run-up to the war. from PMCarpenter:

Quote:

the Bush interviews reveal that the president was genuinely fixated on war as a policy staple -- it would secure what you might call a permanent revolution. Nothing was to be left to chance. Peace presented a constant political threat.

Now of course we have the Downing Street Memo as proof that we would have war -- justified or not, necessary or not. Thousands of lives for “political capital” -- Bush's “basic essence.”

theknife 10-06-05 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Freeway Blogger strikes again:

Mazer 11-06-05 08:46 AM

The impeachment of George W. Bush is a matter for Congress, not the media.

Somebody please inform the Freeway Blogger.
;)

theknife 11-06-05 09:38 AM

it will take the media to light a fire under this Congress.... but this story just will not go away.

from the links above, from news outlets all around country, all within the last 48 hours:
Quote:

Put aside the question of "fixed" intelligence. The DSM demonstrates that Bush was dishonest with the public about his intentions and that the intelligence he did have in hand--fixed or not, faulty or not--did not support the case for war. I can understand why conservative cheerleaders of the war don't want such matters being discussed. But to call the Downing Street memo an item of no importance is to descend into the land of total spin.
Quote:

As C's comments are summarized, he had found in Washington that "the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy" of going to war to remove Saddam, "justified by
the conjunction of terrorism and WMD"; C went on: "Military action was now [as of July 2002] seen as inevitable." According to comments attributed to Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, "The case was thin. Saddam was not threatening his neighbors, and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea or Iran."

There we have it in black and white: Bush lied about WMD and cooked the intelligence to support his position. At last, proof enough to start the impeachment proceedings.
Quote:

PRESIDENT BUSH apparently thinks he can dismiss the damning "Downing Street memo" with a few glib words.

If he is right, it is a sad commentary on the state of American democracy and values.
Quote:

Weeks after it dominated front pages in Europe, the so-called Downing Street Memo finally has bored its way into the U.S. press. The 2002 document describes comments by Britain's intelligence chief, Richard Dearlove, concerning talks with U.S. officials eight months before the invasion of Iraq. Identifying Dearlove as "C," the leaked memo summarizes his report: "Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."
Quote:

After six weeks in the political wilderness, the Downing Street Memo yesterday finally burst into the White House -- and into the headlines.

The memo, which dates back to 2002, conveys a British intelligence official's conclusion that President Bush was manipulating intelligence to build support for war with Iraq -- and that he was already set on invasion long before acknowledging as much in public
Quote:

A simmering controversy over whether U.S. media have ignored a secret British memo about how President Bush built his case for war with Iraq bubbled over into the White House this week.

At a Tuesday news conference, Reuters correspondent Steve Holland asked Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair about a memo that's been widely written about and discussed in Europe but less so in the United States.

It was the most attention paid by the U.S. media so far to the "Downing Street memo," first reported May 1 by The Sunday Times of London. The memo is said by some of the president's sharpest critics, such as Democratic Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, to be strong evidence that Bush decided to go to war and then looked for evidence to support his decision
...and on and on.

miss_silver 11-06-05 07:24 PM

Quote:

Ah, to be deaf and smug is pure happiness, no?

Yes it is, especially if you are projecting your uneasyness about your prez on this situation ;)

theknife 11-06-05 09:28 PM

the gathering shitstorm

the Downing St. Minutes are only a part of the picture....there's lots more:

Quote:

Ministers were told of need for Gulf war ‘excuse’
Michael Smith

MINISTERS were warned in July 2002 that Britain was committed to taking part in an American-led invasion of Iraq and they had no choice but to find a way of making it legal.

The warning, in a leaked Cabinet Office briefing paper, said Tony Blair had already agreed to back military action to get rid of Saddam Hussein at a summit at the Texas ranch of President George W Bush three months earlier.

The briefing paper, for participants at a meeting of Blair’s inner circle on July 23, 2002, said that since regime change was illegal it was “necessary to create the conditions” which would make it legal.
this means that Bush and Blair were both lying at last week's joint press conference:

Quote:

"Look, both of us didn't want to use our military," Mr. Bush added. "Nobody wants to commit military into combat. It's the last option."
Quote:

Mr. Blair, standing at Mr. Bush's side in a joint news conference in the East Room of the White House, said, "No, the facts were not being fixed in any shape or form at all."
Michigan Congressman John Conyers opens congressional hearings next week on the Downing Street Minutes.

the ongoing leak of these various documents to the British press suggests a faction within the British government is determined to set the record straight. watch for corroboration from the US side under similar circumstances.

Mazer 11-06-05 11:41 PM

I'll be waiting. We'll see if the "secrets" these rags are publishing actually lead anywhere.

TankGirl 12-06-05 01:03 AM

I don't know how well the Bush administration managed to spin its domestic media and consequently the perception of American audiences - maybe some Americans are genuinely surprised of what the memo has revealed. For European audiences there's hardly anything surprising - this is precisely how things looked to Europeans (despite their political standing) already months before the war: Bush was hell bent to go to war and would find any excuses to do so, and Blair was following him like an obedient poodle. It would of course be nice if the leaders of important western democracies would not lie blatantly to their citizens to excuse wars that will inevitably cause lot of death and destruction but I suppose most people don't simply expect such moral integrity from politicians these days.

- tg :WA:

albed 12-06-05 06:44 AM

Quote:

I'll be waiting. We'll see if the "secrets" these rags are publishing actually lead anywhere.

Without Dan Rather promoting them, they just don't reach enough dumb, gullible people anymore.

theknife 12-06-05 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankGirl
I don't know how well the Bush administration managed to spin its domestic media and consequently the perception of American audiences - maybe some Americans are genuinely surprised of what the memo has revealed. For European audiences there's hardly anything surprising - this is precisely how things looked to Europeans (despite their political standing) already months before the war: Bush was hell bent to go to war and would find any excuses to do so, and Blair was following him like an obedient poodle. It would of course be nice if the leaders of important western democracies would not lie blatantly to their citizens to excuse wars that will inevitably cause lot of death and destruction but I suppose most people don't simply expect such moral integrity from politicians these days.

- tg :WA:

the documents coming out now confirm what most people already suspected. but taken as part of a larger picture, combined with the testimony of people like Richard Clarke, Paul O'Neill, and Ambassador Joeseph Wilson, they demonstrate a pattern of manipulation and deception on the part of the administration. this has been rising up to the surface of the public consciousness as the public looks at the mess we have created in Iraq, looks at the rising death toll (25 more soldiers died this week), look at the bleak future there, and righteously asks "how did we get into this?"

since it has become painfully obvious we were misled into the war, we were and continue to be lied to about the decision to go to war, and we were completely unprepared for the consequences of this decision, it is just possible the US public has had enough.

Mazer 12-06-05 09:59 AM

Quote:

it is just possible the US public has had enough.

If this singular piece of damning evidence is all it takes to convince the public, then you're right. As I said, I'm still curious to see what will happen and at this point I won't make any predictions.

theknife 12-06-05 08:15 PM

Quote:

If this singular piece of damning evidence is all it takes to convince the public, then you're right. As I said, I'm still curious to see what will happen and at this point I won't make any predictions.

deep down inside, i think the public knows that the president has lied to them. whether the public wants to confront this particular demon is the question.

as for that singular piece of damning evidence, i'm not sure which you are referring to - there are so many. there is, of course, the Downing St. Minutes. then there is the document published in today's London Times (published by Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox News, for you fans of the liberal media myth):

Quote:

The briefing paper is certain to add to the pressure, particularly on the American president, because of the damaging revelation that Bush and Blair agreed on regime change in April 2002 and then looked for a way to justify it.
then there is the testimony of Richard Clarke:

Quote:

After the president returned to the White House on Sept. 11, he and his top advisers, including Clarke, began holding meetings about how to respond and retaliate. As Clarke writes in his book, he expected the administration to focus its military response on Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda. He says he was surprised that the talk quickly turned to Iraq.

Rumsfeld was saying that we needed to bomb Iraq," Clarke said to Stahl. "And we all said ... no, no. Al-Qaeda is in Afghanistan. We need to bomb Afghanistan. And Rumsfeld said there aren't any good targets in Afghanistan. And there are lots of good targets in Iraq. I said, 'Well, there are lots of good targets in lots of places, but Iraq had nothing to do with it.
or Paul O'Neil:

Quote:

According to O'Neil, it was at the very first National Security Council meeting that the Bush administration expressed a desire to remove Saddam Hussein from office.

"From the very beginning, there was a conviction, that Saddam Hussein was a bad person and that he needed to go," says O'Neil, who adds that going after Saddam was a high priority 10 days after the inauguration -- eight months before Sept. 11.
or the President's own words, dated March 2002:

Quote:

Two months ago, a group of Republican and Democratic Senators went to the White House to meet with Condoleezza Rice, the President's National Security Adviser. Bush was not scheduled to attend but poked his head in anyway — and soon turned the discussion to Iraq. The President has strong feelings about Saddam Hussein (you might too if the man had tried to assassinate your father, which Saddam attempted to do when former President George Bush visited Kuwait in 1993) and did not try to hide them. He showed little interest in debating what to do about Saddam. Instead, he became notably animated, according to one person in the room, used a vulgar epithet to refer to Saddam and concluded with four words that left no one in doubt about Bush's intentions: "We're taking him out."
or how about Cheneys words, also from March 2002?

Quote:

Dick Cheney carried the same message to Capitol Hill in late March. The Vice President dropped by a Senate Republican policy lunch soon after his 10-day tour of the Middle East — the one meant to drum up support for a U.S. military strike against Iraq. Before he spoke, he said no one should repeat what he said, and Senators and staff members promptly put down their pens and pencils. Then he gave them some surprising news. The question was no longer if the U.S. would attack Iraq, he said. The only question was when.
...and there is so much more. Hearings start next week - let's see if Michigan Congressman John Conyers is smart enough to put together all of the pieces.

floydian slip 14-06-05 04:20 AM

hers a few links for the IMPEACHMENT of GWBushhhhhhhhhh

http://democrats.reform.house.gov/IraqOnTheRecord/

http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2003/msg03006.html

http://www.larouchepub.com/pr_lar/20...ch_cheney.html

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/pd...record_rep.pdf

http://doorguy.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/6/174551/5268

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/200...y_trgtted.html

http://www.justiceforbush.com/docs/i...yer_sbibc1.pdf

http://www.perspectives.com/forums/forum71/43442-1.html

theknife 14-06-05 04:49 PM

why the Downing Street Minutes matter

Mazer 14-06-05 05:10 PM

Eh, Real Player required so I can't watch it. Can you summarize?

Google proves nothing, except that people who hate Bush like to post their gripes online.

theknife 14-06-05 06:31 PM

Quote:

Eh, Real Player required so I can't watch it. Can you summarize?

Google proves nothing, except that people who hate Bush like to post their gripes online.

it's a well-edited little piece of spin, but it has some interesting points and quotes...

incidentally, this is a nice Real Player Alternative - handy to have for the occasional .rm file you run across.

theknife 15-06-05 05:05 AM

the path to war

a timeline

theknife 15-06-05 03:58 PM

from today's papers...

Baltimore Sun

Quote:

Damning evidence can't be ignored

By David Swanson and Jonathan Schwarz
Originally published June 15, 2005

SINCE ITS publication May 1 by The Sunday Times of London, the so-called Downing Street memo has dominated the media in Britain and on the Internet in the United States. The memo is the official minutes from a secret meeting about Iraq held by British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his inner circle July 23, 2002.

The significance of the memo - and additional leaked British documents now surfacing in public view - can hardly be overstated. They conceivably could lead to impeachment proceedings against President Bush.

The Bush administration consistently has made two claims regarding its decision to invade Iraq:

Mr. Bush chose war only as a last resort.

Mr. Bush dealt honestly with intelligence about weapons of mass destruction and alleged Iraqi ties to al-Qaida.

The Downing Street memo contradicts these claims.
Mineapolis Star-Tribune

Quote:

Many Bush critics accused him of "using" the United Nations to justify war, rather than truly working to avoid military conflict. But they were naturally suspect because they oppose U.S. policy. The British briefing paper is especially significant because it comes from a government that is not only astute, but is also quite friendly to Bush's objective of invading Iraq. The unavoidable conclusion is that both British and American citizens were duped into hoping that the United Nations would make such a conflict unnecessary. In fact, Britain eagerly and the United States reluctantly went to the United Nations to get a fig leaf of respectability for a war on which they had already decided.

In the end, the Security Council refused to play its role, arguing that the weapons inspectors needed more time (actually ample time) to complete their mission. Then the United States threw up its hands, branded Security Council members a bunch of hand-wringing pansies, and went to war. As the British briefing paper makes clear, that was pre-ordained.
LA Times

Quote:

LONDON — In March 2002, the Bush administration had just begun to publicly raise the possibility of confronting Iraq. But behind the scenes, officials already were deeply engaged in seeking ways to justify an invasion, newly revealed British memos indicate.

Foreshadowing developments in the year before the war started, British officials emphasized the importance of U.N. diplomacy, which they said might force Saddam Hussein into a misstep. They also suggested that confronting the Iraqi leader be cast as an effort to prevent him from using weapons of mass destruction or giving them to terrorists.

The documents help flesh out the background to the formerly top-secret "Downing Street memo" published in the Sunday Times of London last month, which said that top British officials were told eight months before the war began that military action was "seen as inevitable." President Bush and his main ally in the war, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, have long maintained that they had not made up their minds to go to war at that stage.

"Nothing could be farther from the truth," Bush said last week, responding to a question about the July 23, 2002, memo. "Both of us didn't want to use our military. Nobody wants to commit military into combat. It's the last option."
...and so forth. but all of this fuss is still not likely to amount to anything if it's based solely on the British version of events, (even in spite of mountains of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence supporting it). nope, it's gonna take an American to make all this start to stick to the prez....somebody with insider documentation. perhaps another Deep Throat.

hearings start tomorrow (6/16) at 2:30 pm est - watch it on C-Span 3 or here.

theknife 15-06-05 07:54 PM

the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step - a Republican lawmaker breaks the code of silence:

theknife 17-06-05 05:15 PM

Bob Woodward, on 60 Minutes

Quote:

"And there's this low boil on Iraq until the day before Thanksgiving, Nov. 21, 2001. This is 72 days after 9/11. This is part of this secret history. President Bush, after a National Security Council meeting, takes Don Rumsfeld aside, collars him physically, and takes him into a little cubbyhole room and closes the door and says, 'What have you got in terms of plans for Iraq? What is the status of the war plan? I want you to get on it. I want you to keep it secret.'"

Woodward says immediately after that, Rumsfeld told Gen. Tommy Franks to develop a war plan to invade Iraq and remove Saddam - and that Rumsfeld gave Franks a blank check.

"Rumsfeld and Franks work out a deal essentially where Franks can spend any money he needs. And so he starts building runways and pipelines and doing all the preparations in Kuwait, specifically to make war possible," says Woodward.

"Gets to a point where in July, the end of July 2002, they need $700 million, a large amount of money for all these tasks. And the president approves it. But Congress doesn't know and it is done. They get the money from a supplemental appropriation for the Afghan War, which Congress has approved. ...Some people are gonna look at a document called the Constitution which says that no money will be drawn from the Treasury unless appropriated by Congress. Congress was totally in the dark on this."

Mazer 17-06-05 06:54 PM

Wait, you're saying the President walked into the Treasury and stole $700 million dollars and nobody noticed or tried to stop him? We need more details on this caper. When did it happen and who found out about it? How could Congress allow this? I mean, weren't there security cameras and guards?

theknife 18-06-05 06:06 AM

Quote:

Wait, you're saying the President walked into the Treasury and stole $700 million dollars and nobody noticed or tried to stop him? We need more details on this caper. When did it happen and who found out about it? How could Congress allow this? I mean, weren't there security cameras and guards?

like this:

Bush's Legal Obligation to Tell Congress About $700M for Iraq

April 21, 2004

Since Bob Woodward disclosed that President Bush in July of 2002 diverted $700 million into Iraq invasion planning without informing Congress, the Bush Administration has failed to provide one shred of evidence to rebuff the charge. According to Woodward, Bush kept Congress "totally in the dark on this" leaving lawmakers with "no real knowledge or involvement." Not only does the Constitution vest the power of the purse with Congress, but whichever of the two supplemental bills passed between 9/11 and July 2001 the President drew the money from had explicit language obligating him to inform key congressional leaders.Unfortunately, instead of opening an investigation, White House allies on Capitol Hill actually told USA Today that the move was acceptable because "the $700 million was small compared" with the overall spending bills.

IF THE WHITE HOUSE CLAIMS TO HAVE USED THE POST-9/11 EMERGENCY SUPPLEMENTAL...

BUSH REQUIRED TO TELL CONGRESS, EVEN IF HE USED THE 9/11 SUPPLEMENTAL: While the President was given discretion to direct $10 billion of the post-9/11 Emergency Supplemental bill, the legislation specifically obligated the President to "consult with the chairmen and ranking minority members of the Committees on Appropriations prior to the transfer" of any funds. In other words, the President was obligated to tell key congressional leaders of both parties anytime he moved money. [Source: Text of HR 2888, Post-9/11 Emergency Appropriations, 9/14/01]

BUSH DELIBERATELY USED VAGUE LANGUAGE IN DOCUMENTS TO HIDE SECRET MOVE: The White House issued two legally mandated updates to Congress about where supplemental funds were being spent. Both covered portions of the time Bush made his $700 million order. But in these documents, instead of telling Congress money was going to Iraq, the White House deliberately used vague and evasive language. For instance, in both of its updates to the Appropriations Committee, the Administration only said it had used monies for "increased situational awareness" and "increased worldwide posture" – and did not mention Iraq at all. [Source: OMB Notification, 8/9/02 & 10/17/02]

SENATE APPROPRIATIONS CHAIRMAN SAYS WHITE HOUSE NEVER NOTIFIED HIS COMMITTEE: Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV), then-Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee which should have received notification, issued a statement on 4/20/04 saying "the Bush White House provided no consultations as required by law about its use of funds for preparation for a war in Iraq in advance of those funds being spent." [Source: Byrd Statement, 4/20/04]

BUSH SAID 9/11 BILL FOR NEW YORK AND CURRENT MILITARY OPERATIONS – NOT IRAQ: In his speech to Congress after 9/11, President Bush promised to use the Emergency Supplemental Bill specifically for aid to New York and for military operations against the terrorists who struck America. He said he would use the "$40 billion to rebuild our communities and meet the needs of our military." He said nothing about Iraq. [Source: President Bush, 9/19/01]

IF THE WHITE HOUSE CLAIMS TO HAVE USED THE JULY 2002 SUPPLEMENTAL...

BILL REQUIRED BUSH TO TELL CONGRESS BEFORE MOVING FUNDS: According to the text of the August 2002 Supplemental, the Bush Administration was only permitted to transfer "up to $275 million" of previously appropriated funds within the Pentagon, and only "15 days after notification to the congressional defense committees." In other words, the White House was obligated to tell Congress if money was moved. [Source: Supplemental Bill, 8/2/02]

BILL REQUIRED BUSH TO TELL CONGRESS IF FUNDS GIVEN TO FRONTLINE STATES: According to the text of the August 2002 Supplemental, the President was allowed to use $390 million for aid to countries assisting with the Global War on Terror. However, that money could only be spent only after "15 days following notification to the appropriate Congressional committees." [Source: Supplemental Bill, HR 4775, 8/2/02]

UNABLE TO PRODUCE ANY EVIDENCE THEY EVEN MENTIONED IRAQ TO CONGRESS: The Administration has yet to produce one reprogramming or transfer notice to Congress about the supplemental which mentioned Iraq. White House spokesman Scott McClellan "added that the White House had asked the Pentagon comptroller and OMB to document what had happened" but there has still been no evidence. [Source: LA Times, 4/20/04]

THE SUMMER SUPPLEMENTAL WAS SIGNED AFTER SECRET ORDER WAS MADE: According to Woodward, the order for the $700 million was given in July of 2002. The White House would have trouble arguing it took the secret $700 million out of the summer 2002 supplemental, considering the bill wasn't signed into law until August 2. [Source: Congressional Record, 8/02]

malvachat 18-06-05 06:16 AM

I wonder if the President was a Democrat,
would this have been sorted out by now?
How do they get away with this sort of thing?
Bearing in mind it's all like it reads.

theknife 18-06-05 10:24 PM

"the White House is completely disconnected from reality"

Quote:

Nebraska Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel is angry. He's upset about the more than 1,700 U.S. soldiers killed and nearly 13,000 wounded in Iraq. He's also aggravated by the continued string of sunny assessments from the Bush administration, such as Vice President Dick Cheney's recent remark that the insurgency is in its "last throes." "Things aren't getting better; they're getting worse. The White House is completely disconnected from reality," Hagel tells U.S. News. "It's like they're just making it up as they go along. The reality is that we're losing in Iraq."
this is coming from a Republican Senator. however, the White House is going on the offensive:
Quote:

Still, the Bush administration is planning to hit back, starting this week, with a renewed public-relations push by the president.
apparently, as far as the White House is concerned, the war we are are losing in Iraq is not a military problem or a political problem. it's a public relations problem and all will be well if they can just convince us all is well.

the DSM hearing set a small fire last week under the administration's credibility
and as we head into next news cycle, it appears to be still burning.

Quote:

But Congress's patience could wear very thin going into an election year. "If things don't start to turn around in six months, then it may be too late," says Hagel. "I think it's that serious."

theknife 19-06-05 07:33 AM

yet another leakled memo....

apparently, the US and the UK actually started the war in May 2002, with massive air raids on Iraqi facilities. while UN mandates allowed patrolling and enforcement of the Iraqi no-fly zone, this increased air activity was in fact illegal and the Brits knew it:

Quote:

A SHARP increase in British and American bombing raids on Iraq in the run-up to war “to put pressure on the regime” was illegal under international law, according to leaked Foreign Office legal advice.

The advice was first provided to senior ministers in March 2002. Two months later RAF and USAF jets began “spikes of activity” designed to goad Saddam Hussein into retaliating and giving the allies a pretext for war.

The Foreign Office advice shows military action to pressurise the regime was “not consistent with” UN law, despite American claims that it was.
so, while Congress did not authorize military action until October 2002, Bush had already started the war on his own:

Quote:

General Tommy Franks, the allied commander, recalled in his autobiography, American Soldier, that during this meeting he rejected a call from Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, to cut the bombing patrols because he wanted to use them to make Iraq’s defences “as weak as possible”.

The allied commander specifically used the term “spikes of activity” in his book. The upgrade to a full air war was also illegal, said Goodhart. “If, as Franks seems to suggest, the purpose was to soften up Iraq for a future invasion or even to intimidate Iraq, the coalition forces were acting without lawful authority,” he said.

Although the legality of the war has been more of an issue in Britain than in America, the revelations indicate Bush may also have acted illegally, since Congress did not authorise military action until October 11 2002.

The air war had already begun six weeks earlier and the spikes of activity had been underway for five months.
these new memos from the British government, as published in the London Times today, add a new dimension to the previously disclosed DSM information: in addition to fixing intelligence to sell and support a predetermination to attack Iraq, the administration was already illegally attacking Iraq without any authorization from Congress.

edit: a succinct editorial (one of dozens from around the country today) from today's SF Chronicle:

Quote:

It's bad enough that the Bush administration had so little international support for the Iraqi war that its "coalition of the willing" meant the United States, Britain, and the equivalent of a child's imaginary friends.

It's even worse that, as the British Downing Street memo confirms, the administration had so little evidence of real threats that officials knew from the start that they were going to have to manufacture excuses to go to war. What's more damning still is that they effectively began this war even before the congressional vote.

theknife 25-06-05 08:23 AM

upping the ante

Democrat Senators starting to show some spine:

Quote:

June 22, 2005
The Honorable Pat Roberts, Chairman
The Honorable John D. Rockefeller, IV, Vice Chairman
United States Senate
Select Committee on Intelligence
SH-211
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator Roberts and Senator Rockefeller:

We write concerning your committee's vital examination of pre-war Iraq intelligence failures. In particular, we urge you to accelerate to completion the work of the so-called "Phase II" effort to assess how policy makers used the intelligence they received.

Last year your committee completed the first phase of a two-phased effort to review the pre-war intelligence on Iraq. Phase I-begun in the summer of 2003 and completed in the summer of 2004-examined the performance of the American intelligence community in the collection and analysis of intelligence prior to the war, including an examination of the quantity and quality of U.S. intelligence on Iraqi weapons of mass destruction and the intelligence on ties between Saddam Hussein's regime and terrorist groups.. At the conclusion of Phase I, your committee issued an unclassified report that made an important contribution to the American public's understanding of the issues involved.

In February 2004-well over a year ago-the committee agreed to expand the scope of inquiry to include a second phase which would examine the use of intelligence by policy makers, the comparison of pre-war assessments and post-war findings, the activities of the Policy Counterterrorism Evaluation Group (PCTEG) and the Office of Special Plans in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, and the use of information provided by the Iraqi National Congress.

The committee's efforts have taken on renewed urgency given recent revelations in the United Kingdom regarding the apparent minutes of a July 23, 2002, meeting between Prime Minister Tony Blair and his senior national security advisors. These minutes-known as the "Downing Street Memo"-raise troubling questions about the use of intelligence by American policy makers-questions that your committee is uniquely situated to address.

The memo indicates that in the summer of 2002, at a time the White House was promising Congress and the American people that war would be their last resort, that they believed military action against Iraq was "inevitable."

The minutes reveal that President "Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."

The American people took the warnings that the administration sounded seriously-warnings that were echoed at the United Nations and here in Congress as we voted to give the president the authority to go to war. For the sake of our democracy and our future national security, the public must know whether such warnings were driven by facts and responsible intelligence, or by political calculation.

These issues need to be addressed with urgency. This remains a dangerous world, with American forces engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan, and other challenges looming in Iran and North Korea. In this environment, the American public should have the highest confidence that policy makers are using intelligence objectively-never manipulating it to justify war, but always to protect the United States. The contents of the Downing Street Memo undermine this faith and only rigorous Congressional oversight can determine the truth.

We urge the committee to complete the second phase of its investigation with the maximum speed and transparency possible, producing, as it did at the end of Phase I, a comprehensive, unclassified report from which the American people can benefit directly.
These are the signatories: Senators Johnson, Corzine, Reed, Lautenberg, Boxer, Kennedy, Harkin, Bingaman, and Durbin.