P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Zer0share Project (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=19077)

JackSpratts 25-03-04 07:55 PM

The Zer0share Project

The Zer0Share Project

Here at Napsterites of the Underground the members are no strangers to file sharing. With a name like Napsterites I may be running the risk of stating the obvious but the familiarity with peer-to-peer networking goes beyond that of the committed enthusiast. Indeed were it not for our members there might not be any peer-to-peer at all. Their lists of accomplishments in the industry is substantial, from work on the original Napster and KaZaa right up through new systems still in the lab. That the boards here reflect mostly social activities is much like a lake on a bright summer day. The water sparkles with invitation but is hard to see through, so it's not until one plunges in that one gets the full measure of the environment. Things in other words are happening beneath the surface. Don't get me wrong. I'm not implying that The Underground is some hot bed of file sharing intrigue, quite the opposite. Once one gets to know the members they can be very forthcoming about their work, it's just that like many things in life, there are levels of existence that at first glance may be somewhat obscured by more prosaic activities.

I've been thinking about this lately in relationship to file sharing and specifically in relationship to a program called Waste. While not to my knowledge developed by anyone at Napsterites it has been invited and accepted by NU members with enthusiasm, running virtually non stop since the first week it was released in June of 2003. I can't count the number of networks we have connecting members here, not so much because of the sheer volume of them, and there are plenty, but because Waste is a program designed from the start to be stealthy, and unless you're invited into a specific network called a "mesh," you're not going to know of its existence, even if you're already operating on another one. This is a big departure from file sharing programs and as you can imagine, it's one of the most important features Waste offers the user, particularly in these days of uncontrolled legal weaponry aimed at file sharers by an increasingly pathological media industry. Imagine pockets of resistance populated by content rich, free-sharing users hidden from view and scattered across the globe and you'll have some idea what Waste is about. Though small, with each mesh maxing out at some 50 members, the aggregate is surprisingly vast. But there's the rub, it is by design a disconnected aggregate and to a large extent socially balkanized. Nobody knows what anybody else is doing on these meshes, which from a security standpoint is reasonable, even laudable, but from a societal standpoint it is in my view a step backwards, and a shortcoming I'd like to address.

As of this writing I am a member of an even dozen meshes, most of them small and only occasionally active, but there are four that I connect to each day, and of those four one is of a fairly substantial size. I'm about to add another. Or more specifically, with your assistance, we're about to create another. One with a very different mission.

As someone who has become familiar with this program over many months of usage a couple of things become apparent. The first is that most meshes are simply too small to catch fire. Initial excitement at being able to connect at all leads to determined content mining which leads inevitably to content exhaustion, and one reaches that point in time fairly quickly, when one has transferred all the material worth acquiring from the various mesh members. I am on some fairly substantial ones, content wise, yet I can close my eyes and see all the folders each member has and the names of the files contained therein. It's not to say that new material isn't added, it is, but in the course of human events it's slow process, this adding of stuff, and one can easily become distracted from the quest. Which brings me to the second point. After a while you stop looking. It's true. Unlike gigantic file sharing systems with hundreds of thousands of users and multi terabytes of material, a humble Waste mesh may have a few hundred gigs at most, or perhaps a terabyte or two. After plumbing the depths on a daily basis for a few weeks one can become attuned to the natural rhythms of the acquisitional cycle of the membership and realize from an efficiency angle anyway, you can't really check in each day with a folder by folder census and expect any kind of major payoff. In other words without the excitement of the always new, one can get well, bored. This of course is not news to experienced Waste users and they all seem to do the same thing about it no matter what mesh you happen to find yourself in. As a matter of fact it can happen the very first time someone uses the program. Waste happens to have excellent, encrypted decentralized chat. It's all but uncrackable and it's under no one's control. This isn't lost on Waste users and they immediately put it to fantastic use notifying fellow file sharers of any new content they may have recently added. Conversely users also post requests for content as well. There's a lot of back and forth when the itch gets bad. This brings up another observation. Like an iceberg, most content in the hands of Waste users is not actually on Waste, but parked elsewhere in other files, discs, folders harddrives or machines otherwise inaccessible by the network search function, but not entirely by members. A simple query will bring about the transfer when one member responds by putting online something that had been parked off, in essence filling an order. This is how it should be in any network where storage and bandwidth are rationed, and indeed name me a network that isn't. The difference with Waste is that the chat functions are so efficient and so good they become dependably a part of the file sharing scheme acting like an uberdrive for the entire network. The interface is human of course, one has to query the owner directly, but it is no exaggeration to say you can get it faster using this system than with fasttrack or, and I hate to say this, Soulseek, my favorite regular file sharing program. I'm not kidding. In my experience if it's available anywhere in any mesh member's possession, online or off, you can get it faster with Waste than with any other program.

What this means is that for all practical purposes after a certain amount of time has passed, one doesn't need to share anything anymore in the normal sense, with folders bursting with tons of content instantly at the ready and hogging untold gigs on pricey harddrives. You don't have to because nobody needs it. If it's up they've either 1, already gotten it or 2, they don't want it. Either way, it's taking up space unnecessarily. It becomes like the famous dog in the Sherlock Holmes story, important for it's absence. We know the goods are offline, we don't need to see what's on. We do need to know when something new arrives and as long as we can get access we don't need to know if the folder it comes in is offline or on. All things being equal of course you might say well so what, you have to put the stuff somewhere so why not just leave it online, members can at least get it faster that way and besides, what difference does it make if it's online or not? Hardrives keep getting bigger and cheaper too, it's not like Waste charges a storage fee by the month. Well, if keeping it online didn't make any difference you'd be right, but as we're finding out, it makes a huge difference, in the eyes of the law. Due to some albeit temporary legal pathology that hasn't worked itself out of the collective cultural consciousness it turns out some poor bastards have been finding themselves in quite a financial spot just leaving digital stuff lying around for any and everyone to stumble over. I know it sounds funny, blaming the victim and all but the copyright laws have been interpreted to suggest that in matters of information, if somebody comes into your house and copies your copyrighted stuff without the permission of the copyright claimant, you’re violating a statute, not the copiers. This is a somewhat simple explanation for a maddeningly complicated issue that even experts have trouble following but basically if you had a store and every time somebody shoplifted your stuff the cops sent you to jail it would be a pretty good analogy how the law - so far - treats downloading. Unfair? You bet. But that's the way it is at the moment. Suffice it to say, for our purposes, there is a huge difference between keeping files instantly available online and keeping them generally available off. It's not that the law appreciates the difference mind you; it's just that if one is going to participate in file sharing the tactical advantage enjoyed in keeping an offline archive is profound. Which brings us back to Waste.

My proposal is a simple one. I would like to start a file sharing network with no files. A sort of nullwork if you will for Waste users. More specifically, I would like to start a Waste mesh that does not contain any remotely accessible copyrighted content that is not under the ownership of the membership. No songs, no movies, no warez. It can actually contain gigs and gigs of downloadable material as long as it's member created or is distributable with permission. If not, it won't belong. Leave that material on the other networks, and there are plenty of them out there believe me. I might be responsible for helping kick off a few of them. But this one will be different. Depending on member’s ambitions it can have rooms, chat, 24 hour socializing, quiet corners and rowdy saloons, but it won't have any copyrighted content. None. It'll have so little content that if the RIAA happens to stop by they'll leave at the first opportunity because their presence will be a complete waste of time.

If there's no content, why bother? Well first of all it just so happens you can do a lot with a mesh even if you're not sharing the latest songs. Users new to Waste can become familiar with the program in an open environment free from any controversy, which in itself is a kind of liberation. They can introduce others to the program in a neutral way, and walk themselves through the steps that enable them to create their own meshes for friends and family. They can use the chat functions like any other system, free in the knowledge that no one's looking over their shoulder reading every word. More experienced users can use it for more complex things. Developers may find it useful for new projects and to test newer versions of Waste, which is now open source. It can become a clearinghouse for all sorts of information, from politics to local events. Since some Europeans have erroneously concluded links are the same as content, link sites are falling by the wayside, so it can and probably will become a place to exchange them. It should although I'm not sure that it will, become a place for artists to announce and distribute their own works. It's been five years since Napster proved conclusively that artists can control their destiny and do their own mass distributing, yet to this day artists still cling tenaciously to outdated media company models and in doing so help perpetuate a system that at once enslaves them and corrupts any and all it touches. This mesh will not end the practice, but it may show some artists there is another way, and they in turn may become emissaries to the larger creative community, and that may prove to be an important step in their own emancipation. In laymen's terms Waste is not a "resource hog", people can and do leave it on all day long, even several meshes simultaneously without experiencing a drain on their computers. It may be that this new mesh becomes a sort of permanent community ticker, like the news zipper at Times Square in New York City, idling quietly in a corner of the screen and occasionally announcing events of interest, unmanipulated by corporate profit machines. A true people's network. I can't even begin to think of all the things this mesh might be capable of in the weeks and months ahead, and it's not from lack of trying. I just realize the futility of competing with a million minds.

I know that the time has come to start something new. Something a lot bigger than file sharing, and maybe something a little bigger than ourselves.

To that end I’ve gotten the ball rolling as it were. I’ve started the mesh and given it a name. I've also placed in my share folder some 600 works from the public domain.

Waste may be a funny name for a program that is anything but, that brings together people from all over the world in a corporate free, protected cybersphere. Justin Frankel its creator is said to have chosen the name after the underground mail system in Thomas Pynchon's book The Crying of Lot 57. In a society of extreme repression this was how members were forced to communicate if they wanted their words to remain unmolested. That was fiction of course. Still, without rearticulating the planet's immediate geopolitical history and headlines it probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world if more of us became familiar with such a system, and one that's actually real. Well, here's our chance.

Pass it on,

Jack Spratts.

The Zer0share Project

The details~

Please note: There are two client platforms. They both have their advantages but are incompatible and will not connect to each other. We run unique meshes for each. When you’ve settled on a client and created a profile, you may announce it at the end of this thread.

The Clients: v1.4 and earlier

The Network Name: zer0share (Copy and paste exactly as written. Note the numeral zero. Open Waste, go to File | Preferences | Network | Network Name and paste.)

The Port: 11150

My Public Key:

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 1536 jackspratts
C113E695BFA94EA1BCEB8003BC9E3F2DAFAB86C9725FF4C148814A3CBC0C
088D77A94CF7FF60CDCD64361A3CA09C65B75B87E156CD368CBE6F45A424
2D00509B29FC1FF60F1956E636E81026F1835758AB5A8A7BDD0509D44F3D
CE02F5FBFB008B827B00A81B6D0ECD03B0C25B627C3600ED66A39AA096C7
F1C0599699C4E29EE8B29692C602916AFECDBB1538D078BF03B5864EBC23
9E9C1C78C611470AF635533E8648C4B65979318E96BAC6449F9BDD0E84F6
5E47161EE5F7797753E0F4270003010001
WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

The Clients: v1.5 and newer

The Network Name: zer©share (Copy and paste exactly as written. Note the copyright symbol. Open Waste, go to File | Preferences | Password and paste.)

The Port: 11350

My Public Key:

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 1536 jacksback
E666044C641CEEC4CD0B12BC0E1BE8ED040BD7CBEEFB19DCFB9AE4D02F83
4FC55E2DCDA77D13DA0E4F12B0DBC58EB7B4E3AC450849FB55BECAABD5D8
11E298209FC98026CD8F16E0748D72BC4E2011B2B09C0A5E84C7C0F5B3CB
DA860311AF6D2E6096B62051DB0E2738D4BBF77C654DA70ECDCB4146B8D2
024D296168DE0F66F4C1DE1C8099F338B1A4EA269A766FA0F42F839A25F4
2897432A50529BA0EB6C5F159328030604EA242880EDD65A79B55757AAD5
C0E0A731D9C753345A34A1F70003010001
WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

In order for this project to have any hope of success we will need a few regular users with static IP addresses. These act as seeds or hooks allowing others to connect. Anyone and everyone with a static IP who wishes may volunteer his or her IP in this thread.

There is some debate in the community as to how many people can reasonably populate a mesh before it stalls. The prevailing theory puts that number between 50 and 100. Not a lot to be sure but more than it might seem at first. To put that figure in some perspective it should be noted the average node on the giant Fasttrack system was not all that much bigger (Kazaa, Groktster etc). Each had about 350 users. If in the future the original zer0share mesh becomes overloaded, new meshes will be added to absorb the growth. The next mesh will be called zer0share1, then the naming scheme will continue with zer0share1a, zer0share1b etc, until at zer0share1z, it will resolve to zer0share2, and continue with the alphabet as needed. I have no idea if that is even remotely likely, but just in case, technical solutions that enable these meshes to combine can be explored.

This is an all-access, fully open mesh. No one will be turned away, not even by me. There will be no administration in the usual sense, no one looking over your shoulder making sure you don't miss the spittoon, but with that freedom comes some responsibility. Indeed self governance is a major point of the program so there won't be any appealing to higher authorities when boorish behavior becomes a distraction. We are on our own here in this little community. If it gets too hot, delete the key of the member who's irritating you or shut the mesh off altogether.

Try not to get too caught up in any dramas. There are real people behind the nics, but their actions may not be. Try to have some fun, try to do something new and try to use this project as a way of exploring things that may be just outside your reach.

Above all, enjoy it.

- js.

Use this moderated thread to post your ideas, your information, and your public keys. I'll be checking in on a regular basis, loading keys and reading your comments.

Email – thezer0shareproject (at) lycos (dot) com

Please join us here at NU.

Mazer 25-03-04 09:34 PM

Sounds fun, I'm in.

I'll offer up my IP address to start this thing going, though I must forewarn everyone that I might not always be on the network but I'll try to keep it running as much as possible. As more users volunteer their addresses the mesh will become more robust and will stay up 24/7. I'll also answer any questions that come my way via PM, Waste chat, or in this thread so if anyone gets stuck or can't connect then don't be afraid to ask me.

I will set my computer to accept broadcasted keys (this setting is in the Preferences/Network/Pending Keys dialog), but keep in mind that this setting is optional for everyone. You decide your own level of security. And also for the sake of convience I will also set Direct Connections option (in the Preferences/File Transfers dialog) and I urge everyone to do the same. This will reduce the load on router nodes when file transfers take place, but again it is only optional.

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 1536 Mazer
E16CE89F09AA9D2802E4CFA52060D0A4C7427DBA0174D0575D7FE4C257BF
04153E7934381C7FDD3A44FFFD8271635727D3BFAC70C58440FA0041AF15
2E6C5A0765C0C17ACFF7B3DB533764215B38993EA51388B8A52DE8FA4596
F1D6F0A0B457AB89F2A50699E3A73EEFA2AFE0BC7CF629C2FF4FAFDD67B8
0BE0261AADF3502E3C29F58B5FD9276750EB7B371B81E7AC4E5B0D447784
6BC406205C9D6D2D4C3FBD23F5A9828A3EB73A130B455BF31D14225EB3BF
4B2CBA470D785C45B9EA28A70003010001
WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

My IP address is 65.102.206.75:11150

To connect, setup Waste with zer0share as the network name, generage a public key and post it in this thread, import my public key into the Preferences/Public Keys dialog, and then input my IP address into the Network Status window. As soon as I import your public key you will be able to connect (but be patient, I'll try to check this thread often to import new members' keys).

Presently I already have keys for Chupacabra, DaddyDirt, Bladdy@Grokster, and Jack is already connected; you all should be able to connect to me immediatly.

Nice job Jack, I hope it works. :tu:

pod 25-03-04 11:25 PM

Hmm...

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 2048 pod
E61B01078FFFB7D6B645A1B07112BEEA085CB669169524C920050CC217F2
1FF7AC4C4D1A7AE1A11E8D3F4AE197169D4B8D1B9D24DBA419E90ED7670B
4E35BF42A358ABBEE8FD4CC2E11EC530771CAB43E183B979F365003B4868
3C601CA3CAAE0EFC95FE8726EC64E9E00F76D3C31C785FD41DC11F4F33F0
48DB048118685B2515DFADBE2C729E6096801C21056BB30A71966D1BD76F
3B51A11828162644159A497BBDC90C254969997E9D3C80DB017412E4272B
BB25F1CA74ED6CEE65A71AF0AB31E820A8DC17DAE2F7B1EC1DA556B45D2E
BACCC0E5C28B9C2790216597AC74BDF4665DDD29BEB5E37991D062AD3674
73F4EEFA161EB44029DC157CD94CC7E70003010001
WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

beatniak 26-03-04 05:07 AM

Great idea

Great idea

Here's my key:

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 2048 Beatniak2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WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

ip = 62.58.15.251

Will try to keep this one up 24/7

beatniak 26-03-04 05:08 AM

@ Mazer: could you please add me?

Mazer 26-03-04 07:33 AM

Nice, now we have two entry points. Welcome aboard beatniak.

I've started a chat room called #zerochat in case anyone is wondering what to do first.

beatniak 27-03-04 07:49 AM

now also my key at home:

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 2048 Beatniak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WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

ip=212.238.193.142

could someone add me? i won't be back at work (my other key) till monday.

/obvious

Mazer 27-03-04 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JackSpratts
It should although I'm not sure that it will, become a place for artists to announce and distribute their own works.
I'm not really a musician but I have made some music that some might find interesting. It's techno so it's not for everyone, and it's not that good, but if you're interested I have it in my shares right now. Give it a listen and tell me what you think.

JackSpratts 27-03-04 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mazer
I'm not really a musician...
you're better than you think you are and you show improvement with each new song. when i was producing radio commercials i was always buying "production music" for the beds, it was either buy it or not have it all because i can't blow a note. that stuff isn't cheap either. let me tell you something mazer, yours is just as good. it could be marketed to tv and radio stations and it would sell.

"the cave" and even "timeline" remind me of kraftwerk.

as for the sound quality, it's clean, warm (good bass) and professional.

this is good stuff, make more please. ;)

- js.

Mazer 28-03-04 10:09 AM

Well alright, I'll make more. Thanks Jack. You really think there's a market for this stuff?

JackSpratts 28-03-04 10:16 AM

yep. :ND:

- js.

aussiebeermatt 28-03-04 06:57 PM

Waste Key

you should post this at www.mirwin.net a resonably large WASTE key sharing site anyway heres my key add me alot of 24/7 nodes connected with mirwins mesh

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 1536 aussiebeermatt
CA6B0DA40178E237557799CE9FF8A749C49AC059EF10F657A8B5899F12CD
A8072551F3A301E1CDF687B16CB5DC2C7E0B8F91EFCB76E114700303F108
BE82E625226F842E1796A21355201A154303A0928EB893C21A29272C3474
A19B6955BB898FFF13FABA1F5A9C4A02D5E63CCFF1C09BFD4F7A805CAC84
0E0992245093810C9CB73DE6411EABC5D7C8E75465CDABCE9E3F41147CD2
262E5C7FA61CA2B7B67708D8E7D1503DC1C20A172792806B8E5D8DE021BA
BB0F02D448CE29E303350A9B0003010001
WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END

you also can use this IP to connect

aussiebeermatt.servebeer.com

I dont always route traffic as im on dail up and it eats my bandwidth but ill try and connect you at least once a day so leave WASTE running as someone will connect you eventualy .

blady@grokster 28-03-04 08:03 PM

-

JackSpratts 28-03-04 08:13 PM

welcome to nu and the mesh aussiebeermatt - your key's added! :beer:

Quote:

Originally posted by blady@grokster
how can i connect to mirwin's net without registering on his website?
i see you there as bladyatgrokster.

it's quite a mesh: impossible to know who they all are but at the moment there are 49 members showing, and over 1.5 terrabytes of content.

aussiebeermatt - feel free to spread the word about this project. :)

- js.

CORRUPTERBUSTER 29-03-04 02:21 AM

Don't forget me!!!!!

25,000.00 to share, I am ready give me that link gosh darnit

blady@grokster 29-03-04 06:23 AM

"i see you there as bladyatgrokster"

you see who there as who??

aussiebeermatt 29-03-04 08:59 AM

Mirwin is not a closed network

on the network mirwin is connected to there is a user with the name bladyatgrokster .Are you on the same network with me???as that name is on my list also, Mirwin hooked up with what is reported to be the original Nullsoft mesh by sheer luck than good management , as some of that networks users posted thier keys and static IPs on mirwin and mirwin also stoped using a network name as it was causing some problems , thus creating a larger network with lots of nodes and gigs of content .

@ Jack I posted the link to this thread at mirwin and suggested that mirwins network to run in the background of the Zer0share Project and use your network to chat ,ect. The owner of mirwin is interested ,you guys need to get together and work out where you could go with this :beer:

JackSpratts 29-03-04 10:27 AM

so they merged eh? interesting. we're familliar with that lol. :eek: well, as long as zer0share stays free of open content there could be workable partnerships with merwin or any meshes, but since it's "named" it's technically more complicated. something to think about for the future.

ok matt thanks, i'll be in touch. :)

- js.

defacto 29-03-04 10:28 AM

WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY 20 1536 defatco
C81354143B2F9B9F8B599814EBBF5D506ED1F6BA4C1E1ED34CB723CFB56A
0022842D978EF4B99F67B909292EEDF5555A5A7E6C2ECCDA4918700C51DA
7FBB02819EFCA6797A713D6777101EE5722921A874DC44FBD374701C6291
D106ED2987BACE8658C47A6DEDCB9BB3D1246A91B89CFFA476E158FA3645
AAC2E7DB6D1712B274DE78FF799E89268506BFC7012CB0ED48B24C80164C
8A5EFA6264649BCE8FA2B428BECF7C23BE37F77B8AC346D1058842C9691C
9719CC21CD103963EBE9F47F0003010001
WASTE_PUBLIC_KEY_END