P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why bother to do this? (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=18047)

petriburg 29-11-03 08:20 PM

Why bother to do this?

Hi folks! Yesterday, having previously obtained a list of the tracks, I downloaded all 12 of the numbers on Streisand's "Movie" album, for which I'd been looking for some time. When the downloads were complete, imagine my annoyance to find the playback for each and every track (3+ MB) was precisely the same piece of music, of about 90secs. duration, followed by white noise. OK, so the Cd is copy protected, but why bother to put bogus crap on i-mesh? - it's just a waste of time, and benefits nobody. Where can one find genuine mp3s these days?

AweShucks 29-11-03 09:01 PM

Re: Why bother to do this?

Quote:

Originally posted by petriburg
Where can one find genuine mp3s these days?
I have completely abandoned the whole idea of individual downloads to obtain a complete album. Downloading albums in zip or rar format have been working well for me. The files are all ripped and encoded from the same source so you get less variation in quality. I typically stick with the edonkey network using emuleplus as the client. The files are 90+% good quality. Also alot of good music can be found on Direct Connect but typically the hubs have insane limits for required shares but the file quality is great.
If it is just a single track here and there I stick with WinMX or opennap. Soulseek is also a good place to look.

From my experiences Fasttrack/Imesh whatever flavor is a rubbish pile of crap files and fakes that isn't worth the bandwidth.

TankGirl 29-11-03 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm with AweShucks here. eMule has long been a good source for movies, but the musical offerings of the network have also developed nicely during the last few months. Apart from a multitude of RARed or ZIPped albums there is a growing number of full discographies available, the albums neatly organized into their own folders and wrapped into a single hash-verified package for your downloading pleasure... :BL: :a: Can't get much more convenient than that. :tu:

- tg :WA:

ONEMANBANNED 29-11-03 09:34 PM

Because people neglect to listen to what they find first . I`m guilty of that . I just played a Johnny Winters song and found out it is incomplete. It`s up to us... what we post (besides the riaa/mpaa or whatever the short hand is) to inspect it before ya share it is a good rule of thumb:tu: Maybe the p2p proggies and such shoul put it in bold type as part of the program , to keep the junk out :beer:

petriburg 29-11-03 11:59 PM

:D Great response, so soon, fellow napsterites! Looks as if I shall have to climb on the Donkey before I once again fall on my ass!!! Thanks a heap.

AweShucks 30-11-03 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ONEMANBANNED
Because people neglect to listen to what they find first . I`m guilty of that . I just played a Johnny Winters song and found out it is incomplete. It`s up to us... what we post (besides the riaa/mpaa or whatever the short hand is) to inspect it before ya share it is a good rule of thumb:tu: Maybe the p2p proggies and such shoul put it in bold type as part of the program , to keep the junk out :beer:

That's a very good point. I have always preached for people to never share their incoming "save" folder. I have always felt that files should be verified for completion and quality before hitting the shared folder:ND: However some called me silly for the thought so I shut up :RI:
But in the case of Kazaa/Imesh etc the issue is worthless with the fake file farms out there. It would be my guess that 1/3 - 1/2 of the shown data is corrupt/fake/incomplete/virus etc.

petriburg 30-11-03 06:06 AM

:) The one thing I neglected to ask in my previous reply was, is there a preferred site from which to download the emule client?
Thanks, folks, I'll get it tomorrow!

multi 30-11-03 06:10 AM

emule is probably your best bet ..
http://emule-project.net/

napho 30-11-03 08:46 AM

This is a nice search engine to get links from.

http://www.filedonkey.com/

zombywoof 30-11-03 09:19 AM

irc bots work great for getting full-cds. queues are no worse than today's p2p with everyone out there locking down their shares and bandwidth. the apps work fine ..its the users that make them what they are..

pod 30-11-03 11:41 AM

A lot of people use filedonkey, but for some reason I never liked it too much. I usually use Jiggle to run edonkey network searches. It doesn't do server-less overnet (does anything?), but you can search all the edonkey servers live. It's run by the same guys who do Sharereactor.

multi 30-11-03 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you can use those searches from within the program too..

TankGirl 30-11-03 11:32 PM

BTW a new version (0.30d) of eMule has come out just a few days ago.

petriburg 01-12-03 06:09 AM

:D Thanks, everybody, for all the useful information. I now have version 3.0D installed and running, tho' I haven't actually downloaded anything yet - but searches it does. I see that File Donkey locates lotsa files, but I'm not sure how those are suppposed to translate into downloads - dbl clicking on individual filenames doesn't seem to produce any result. Never mind, I guess I'll discover the method after a while. Thanks again, and hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.:AP:

TankGirl 01-12-03 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by petriburg
I see that File Donkey locates lotsa files, but I'm not sure how those are suppposed to translate into downloads - dbl clicking on individual filenames doesn't seem to produce any result.
In eMule, check the option Preferences -> Files -> Watch clipboard for eD2K links. Then when you come across an eD2K link on FileDonkey, Sharereactor or any other website, copy the link to the clipboard (in IE: right-click -> Copy Shortcut), and your eMule will automatically detect it and prompt you if you want to download the file.

napho 01-12-03 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since you have a monthly limit of 3GB/month you should reduce your upload speed in Preferences/Connection.
Also there are other places to get what you want.

petriburg 01-12-03 05:06 PM

:) Thanks again everyone, and a special one for TG and napho.
Hey, napho, how do I access that Russian site? My computer not speaksi Russki, and there's no link there that I can see. Would be useful, though - and I guess if you're a genie, it's easy to overcome these language problems!