P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BearShare Blocks other Gnutella Clients (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=11983)

Spaceboy 28-06-02 06:12 PM

BearShare Blocks other Gnutella Clients

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/article.../06272002g.php

goldie 28-06-02 06:56 PM

<BIG SIGH> Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnee.......:no: :no:

Philanthropy 28-06-02 09:00 PM

This is absolute nonsense, and the article you cite is a bunch of bollocks. Bearshare 4.0 allows you the OPTION to block other clients other than bearshare for security purposes, as Bearshare has a revolutionary new feature which allows it to block hostiles such as the RIAA or MPAA server farms. This is exactly what Gnutella needs, security. Unless of course you like your Broadband ISP receiving a cease and desist letter. This is the greatest thing to ever happen to Gnutella, and people are criticizing him for it. Vinnie has stressed on a number of occassions that he simply wants his users secure, and I applaud him for that. And while I appreciate the romantic idealism of some of the GDF developers who criticize Vinnie for supposedly splintering the network, and in an ideal world there would be no need for these security features, but as long as the RIAA and MPAA exist, these features must exist as well, regrettably, if file-sharing is going to continue.

JackSpratts 28-06-02 09:24 PM

so ends the bearshare chapter of gnutella. what a long and boring soap opera. is it finally over? really? thanks!

if that's what he's doing, i have no problem with vinnie spinning off his network. i wish he'd done it sooner. he's been a pain in the ass for gnutella for so long maybe it's better if he simply leaves and takes his toy with him while we see which strategy works best. i'm happier with true, open gnutella applications working together and getting stronger. if bearshare risks becoming another orphaned app, playing with itself by itself it has the option. i know gnutella will put this episode behind it quickly. still, i wish vinnie luck, and i wish the gnutella network the continued success it deserves. :)

- js.

Philanthropy 28-06-02 10:29 PM

Respectfully Jack, it seems that you have ignored everything that I have written in my previous post. I think if you take the things I mentioned under consideration, you would view these changes in a much more positive light.

JackSpratts 28-06-02 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Philanthropy
Respectfully Jack, it seems that you have ignored everything that I have written in my previous post. I think if you take the things I mentioned under consideration, you would view these changes in a much more positive light.
we'll see.

- js.

Philanthropy 29-06-02 12:24 AM

After all, what good is a file-sharing service if all the sharers have had their ISPs turned off. :)
In a world with the likes of the RIAA and MPAA, security comes at the expense of almost anything else.

Sven the Barkeep 29-06-02 04:35 AM

Yer all a boncha jackasses! File sharing is dead, I tells ya. Ever since that Shawn FanBelt idiot sold 'is soul to wall street! :m:

They controll it all now I tells ya! Yer just foolin' yer Damn selfs that ther's anythin' ta fight fer. The corps hav it now... it's over! :m:

AweShucks 29-06-02 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Philanthropy
Actually Jack said it as good as you can say it:ND: Vinnie has always tried to make things happen his way and not the gnutella way:m: Block the RIAA and whatever make it secure fine yeah thats great but Vinnie is still the biggest prick programming a client out there today.
As stated before he should start his own network or play by the rules plain and simple.

assorted 30-06-02 10:23 PM

Philanthropy you sound like a spinning politician. It's blocking other clients no matter what; and that's a real problem for gnutella. I've never actively encouraged people to not use BearShare before; but now seems the time to start.