P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   The Music (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   placement of 1st singles on an album (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=10208)

dead_frog 01-04-02 07:31 AM

placement of 1st singles on an album

Have you ever taken the time to look at the placement of that 1st single? Noticed the dreaded second track? I've come to the conclusion that, usually, putting a 1st single as first track on an album usually means the album is quite good, "we're not afraid to put this first because we've got lots more good stuff to come after" - although I don't have too many examples of this one to be sure... plus lots of those Pop Factories use this technique. Probably more of a "Look! It's that Great Song You Love! Don't get bored with us yet!" in most cases. :f:

The Later position is good as well (we're not afraid to put this all the way back here because the stuff before it doesn't suck). But what of that second spot? Put an average-to-better song on 1st, then the second track to get the listener pumped and perhaps subconsciously make the album sound better than it is?
Sure, there are exceptions (Ok Computer, Stories From The City and more) but there are some albums I tried out and realized that the second track (and 1st -sometimes only- single) was the best it had to offer.

Of course, the more I think about this the more exceptions I find so I'll just post this crap now and get it over with. :zzz:

What about you, gots something? Examples, Exceptions?

:fm: Frogman says go ahead!

nanook 02-04-02 07:38 PM

well, frogman, what do you think of this one?
i believe Godsmack's self-titled album is a good one.
their first single, i believe was "Whatever" and the second was "Keep Away".
but if you notice on their cd, "Moon Baby" is the first track, with "Whatever", second and "Keep Away", third.
although, "Moon Baby" wasn't a big one on the radio or video, (i love all the songs), it is the first.
what is your conclusion?
a third song released on radio and video was "Voodoo", which in turn is the very last song.
hmmmmmmmm. now u have me thinking.
maybe the artist picks the order in which they wish the listener to hear them.
i dunno. but i thought this was a good example.

theknife 07-04-02 08:07 AM

Quote:

Sure, there are exceptions (Ok Computer, Stories From The City and more) but there are some albums I tried out and realized that the second track (and 1st -sometimes only- single) was the best it had to offer
Only some? I've probably spent thousands of dollars over the years on albums and cds that hooked me with one good song and the rest of it completely sucked.

Over the years, I developed the "two song" rule: I had to know of at least two good songs on a cd before I'd buy it...and I still got burned most of the time...

But then came Napster and P2P and all the rest and I don't have to roll the dice anymore as to whether or not I'm gonna waste my money...ain't it grand?:AP:

dead_frog 07-04-02 10:22 AM

Quote:

Only some? I've probably spent thousands of dollars over the years on albums and cds that hooked me with one good song and the rest of it completely sucked.
Actually I was referring to lately, when I can test loads of songs and not get burned... but I guess you're right that 'some' was a little mild.

nanook if you like Godsmack and they have a 2nd position 1st single then they must be in the exception bin! It's a good thing you brought up their later single = last track, I don't know of many albums that have done that.. besides Street Spirit off The Bends.

:fm:

dead_frog 07-04-02 01:10 PM

oasis

Just remembered Oasis tend to like stuffing good stuff to the last positions, like Champagne Supernova, All around the world and (arguably, since it's a CD of b-sides) The Masterplan.

theknife 07-04-02 01:51 PM

Now, to me, Oasis would be one of those relatively rare bands where most of the songs were decent-to-good and the rest were at least tolerable...in which case placement wasn't really an issue.

dead_frog 07-04-02 03:13 PM

good call, but they had to pick something to put out as a single :)

Jader 07-04-02 09:41 PM

Guns 'n Roses' Welcome to the Jungle from Appetite For Destruction sticks out in my mind.

dead_frog 08-04-02 10:04 AM

where is that on the album?

Jader 08-04-02 10:13 AM

Very first track. :)

"Oh my god..."

[guitar lead-in riff..]

:S:

Now that I think about it, Paradise City was the last song on the first side of the cassette and in the middle on CD/LP's.