P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Political Asylum (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Sarah who? (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=24618)

theknife 29-08-08 01:17 PM

Sarah who?

McCain throws the Hail Mary pass:
Quote:

Sen. John McCain on Friday announced Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential candidate, calling her "the running mate who can best help me shake up Washington."
it's a bold move alright:

-two years ago, she was the part-time mayor of a village in Alaska - this would potentially put her a 73-year-old heart beat away from the Presidency. so much for the for "inexperienced" line of attack from the GOP.

-she's a reformer who's currently under an ethics investigation in her own state.

-obviously, a painfully transparent attempt to woo Hillary supporters...no man with her resume would have even been considered.

-but hey, she's a creationist - maybe we can bring those disgruntled conservative Christians back into the fold.

but it will be fun to see her debate Joe Biden, no?

edit: oh yeah, almost forgot: she's the protege of Alaska GOP Senator Ted Stevens, who's political machine boosted her from part-time mayor to governor in two short years. unfortunately, Uncle Ted is also under indictment for various forms of corruption and scheduled to go to trial next month, which should keep him in the headlines right up until the elction.

Ðiego 29-08-08 03:49 PM

I'm now completely convinced: the GOP is playing for the lose with candidates who can take the hit because they'll never be in national politics again.

If the GOP had put a good candidate in as Pres, and a good candidate in as his VP, and they had lost then they would have been damaged goods in 2012. McCain and Whatshername are throw-away candidates for a year the GOP was expecting to lose anyways.

Imagine if McCain won and dropped dead: clueless soccer-mom President! lol :BL:

Ð :S:

Mazer 31-08-08 07:52 AM

Ðiego, keep in mind that voters, not the GOP, picked McCain (only God knows why :RE:). Had the party leadership had more say in the nomination they would have nominated somebody better than him. I know I would have.

As for the choice of Palin for running mate, more state governors have been elected president than congressmen. However, had McCain picked Romney then a lot of conservative Christians would have abstained from voting this year so he was out of the question. Having the only governor in the race on his ticket makes McCain that much more electable. I think you're right, knife, that he chose a woman to steal Hilary supporters from the Dems, and it's gonna work but it won't be enough to edge out Obama.

multi 31-08-08 11:00 PM

:/
oh ye of little faith..
surely there will be some way to stop it...

Quote:

As the nation focuses on Sen. John McCain's choice of running mate, President Bush has quietly moved to expand the reach of presidential power by ensuring that America remains in a state of permanent war.
...more
Quote:

President Bush (Washington Times, July 8, 2004):

President Bush yesterday criticized Sen. John Edwards for blocking his judicial nominations and bluntly dismissed the one-term North Carolina Democrat as too inexperienced to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.
Asked by a reporter how the 51-year-old senator would "stack up" against Vice President Dick Cheney - a five-term congressman who served under three presidents and was secretary of defense during the 1991 Persian Gulf War - Mr. Bush replied: "Dick Cheney can be president. Next."

...more
Quote:

For weeks, advisers close to the campaign said, Mr. McCain had wanted to name as his running mate his good friend Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, the Democrat turned independent. But by the end of last weekend, the outrage from Christian conservatives over the possibility that Mr. McCain would fill out the Republican ticket with Mr. Lieberman, a supporter of abortion rights, had become too intense to be ignored.
...more

AFJROTC_c/SSgt 01-09-08 02:43 AM

I don't quite think having experience with Firearms up to M4's, M16's, Mother of 5 Children (one of which is challenged), is NOT at ALL typical to the middle-class, hard working American woman. That's the exact reason WHY those middle-class, hardworking women are so turned OFF by her. You could say they are intimidated by her. Seriously?
How can any "decent" mother leave the side of her 5 month old baby - a special needs baby, especially - to follow her political aspirations?

multi 01-09-08 03:21 AM

Apparently it's not her baby ...
it's her grand-daughter or something.. :dunno:

Ðiego 01-09-08 03:58 AM

Quote:

he chose a woman to steal Hilary supporters from the Dems, and it's gonna work
Correct, and then incorrect. That is why he chose her, one of the reasons (the other being that she's as far 'right' as one can go, and a religious nut (same difference? okay, I'll give you that)), but it is not going to work.

Hillary supporters supported Hillary, not 'woman', and not just any woman can be substituted.

An interesting fact which hasn't hit the press yet: Palin is a member of, and was put in government in Alaska by, the Alaska Independence Party.

The AIP’s main aim is to secede from the United States, becoming either a territory or a sovereign nation. They aim to be entirely "self-sufficient" using profits from the oil and gas resources of the state.

On their website, you find this:

Quote:

The Alaskan Independence Party can be summed up in just two words: ALASKA FIRST!
And their 2008 platform:

Quote:

To seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution.
Governor Palin’s connections with the AIP are also furthered by her connection to Wally Hickel, a former Alaskan governor. Hickel was elected on the AIP ticket. He served as the co-chairman of Governor Palin’s campaign in 2006

Here is a quote from an interview Hickel did with the Alaska Dispatch:

Quote:

When Palin was running for governor in 2006, Hickel appeared in advertisements supporting her and the Alaska pipeline.

"I made her governor," Hickel told me.
When asked earlier this year on CNBC about whether she’d be picked for McCain’s VP, Palin said, "We wanna make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans, and for the things we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the US, before I can even start addressing that question."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oro2Yh9HoEM

So, besides the fact that she doesn’t know what the VP does everyday, Palin wants to be VP only if it’s a good thing for Alaska?

Sarah Palin has a lot of questions to answer about whether she supports Alaska’s right to secede, whether she’s figured out what her job as VP will be, and whether she’s in it to send money or profits to her state.

here she is addressing the Alaska Indelendance Party convention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI

This is from the convention itself. About half way through the speech (at about 6:00), the Vice Chairman of the AIP, Dexter Clark, says this Independenceof Palin: "Our current governor who I mentioned at the last conference, the one we were hoping would get elected, Sarah Palin, did get elected . . . .and there was a lot of talk about her moving up. She was an AIP member before she got the job as mayor . . . "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHFY1otOWjQ

This is from further on in the same speech from Dexter Clark, the Vice Chairman from the AIP. In it, he talks about the necessity of infiltrating the major national parties in order to further the goals of the AIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9RDjKN8t4w

Telling stuff and it comes before even mentioning that she is anti-abortion AND anti-contraception AND anti-anti-SexEd AND pro-creationism in the schools as Science.

When Obama says her choice is 'more of the same' he couldn't be more right. if she was any closer to the 'family values' Bush forces on the US and the world, they'd be seimese twins.

Quote:

"I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions." - Joe Vogler, founder - Alaskan Independence Party

Ðiego 01-09-08 10:51 AM

This is TOO good!

Quote:

'Morning' Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan mock as ridiculous the possibility of Sarah Palin being named McCain's running mate, on the morning of John McCain naming her as his running mate!

What's more, they go on to dismiss the idea that her qualifications are anywhere near Obama's as Obama has been on the national stage a long time and running and excellent campaign who "validated himself with 18 million votes." And beating everyone, including knocking out Hillary.

They also blast the idea of Palin as a Hillary substitute as silly and state it would be seen as "condescending" to women.

This is perfect antithesis to the GOP talking points that have obviously made the rounds in the last few days. The talking heads, including Buchanan, sure changed their tunes quickly.
The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTbsbeY5k5k

JackSpratts 01-09-08 11:05 AM

fundee famlee valuz

labor day news

little bristol is going to be in labor in a few months! how sweet. :L2:

oh wait, they're christian fundies. so that meant abstinence, not birth control.

great plan there sarah. btw, didn't she elope back when?

from wonkette:

Quote:

To be a true conspiratist you have to assume that *this* pregnancy is faked and will “miscarry” in order to shield the truth about Bristol being Trig’s Mom.
hell for that matter this could be number two for bristol.

welcome to alaska. :D

theknife 01-09-08 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSpratts (Post 262880)
hell for that matter this could be number two for bristol.

this could be, indeed (or, how an Internet rumor takes off). somebody at Kos put together a interesting series of photos during the Guv's latest pregnancy: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8...137/486/580223
the photo at seven months is particularly striking - my gal pal says no way.:N:

she might work out yet for McCain, but the first 72 hours can't be encouraging for his campaign. thus far, she's sort of a mashup of all the classic VP fiascos - what you might expect if you threw Dan Quayle, Spiro Agnew, and Thomas Eagleton into a blender.:BL:

multi 01-09-08 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multi (Post 262876)
Apparently it's not her baby ...
it's her grand-daughter or something.. :dunno:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/am...232695427.html

LOL
oops
maybe not..then
still something smells a bit fishy
;)

daddydirt 01-09-08 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknife (Post 262881)
.....she might work out yet for McCain, but the first 72 hours can't be encouraging for his campaign. thus far, she's sort of a mashup of all the classic VP fiascos - what you might expect if you threw Dan Quayle, Spiro Agnew, and Thomas Eagleton into a blender.:BL:

two of those fiascos were elected btw. :)

oh the delicious irony as y'all jump aboard and ride the Obama sleaze machine for all it's worth. i am Laughing My Fucking Ass Off reading your posts while you hypocrites seem to be oblivious to the fact that you have become all that you profess to despise as you encourage and pass on smears and innuendo. guess you really didn't hate Karl Rove, just that he was a Republican.

as for her "inexperience" ---- by actually running a city as mayor, and a state as governor, she has racked up more executive experience than all of the other candidates combined. and in case you weren't sure, running for the office of President of the United States does not qualify as actual executive experience.

we'll see how it all plays out, my guess is that it's just another case of democrats underestimating republicans. as America gets to know her during this campaign, they'll probably like her a lot, she doesn't have an 80% approval rate in Alaska for nothing.

these VP choices do say an awful lot about the two Presidential candidates though. the supposed candidate for "change" plays it safe and picks a Washington insider and power player; while the angry, too old, supposed "same old same old" Republican picks an unknown woman.

a screenwriter couldn't have dreamed up a more interesting plot twist.

cheers =]

Ðiego 02-09-08 03:18 AM

Rovian? hardly. We're just doing the vetting that McCain didn't bother to do before deciding who he wanted to be President should he get elected and die; the former not so possible, the latter extremely so.

I mean honestly, what kind of asshole doesn't vet his VP pick?

Quote:

Disclosures on Palin Raise Questions on Vetting Process

ST. PAUL — A series of disclosures about Gov. Sarah Palin, Senator John McCain’s choice as running mate, called into question on Monday how thoroughly Mr. McCain had examined her background before putting her on the Republican presidential ticket.

On Monday morning, Ms. Palin and her husband, Todd, issued a statement saying that their 17-year-old unmarried daughter, Bristol, was five months pregnant and that she intended to marry the father.

Among other less attention-grabbing news of the day: it was learned that Ms. Palin now has a private lawyer in a legislative ethics investigation in Alaska into whether she abused her power in dismissing the state’s public safety commissioner; that she was a member for two years in the 1990s of the Alaska Independence Party, which has at times sought a vote on whether the state should secede; and that Mr. Palin was arrested 22 years ago on a drunken-driving charge.

Aides to Mr. McCain said they had a team on the ground in Alaska now to look more thoroughly into Ms. Palin’s background. A Republican with ties to the campaign said the team assigned to vet Ms. Palin in Alaska had not arrived there until Thursday, a day before Mr. McCain stunned the political world with his vice-presidential choice. The campaign was still calling Republican operatives as late as Sunday night asking them to go to Alaska to deal with the unexpected candidacy of Ms. Palin.

Although the McCain campaign said that Mr. McCain had known about Bristol Palin’s pregnancy before he asked her mother to join him on the ticket and that he did not consider it disqualifying, top aides were vague on Monday about how and when he had learned of the pregnancy, and from whom.

While there was no sign that her formal nomination this week was in jeopardy, the questions swirling around Ms. Palin on the first day of the Republican National Convention, already disrupted by Hurricane Gustav, brought anxiety to Republicans who worried that Democrats would use the selection of Ms. Palin to question Mr. McCain’s judgment and his ability to make crucial decisions.

At the least, Republicans close to the campaign said it was increasingly apparent that Ms. Palin had been selected as Mr. McCain’s running mate with more haste than McCain advisers initially described.

Up until midweek last week, some 48 to 72 hours before Mr. McCain introduced Ms. Palin at a Friday rally in Dayton, Ohio, Mr. McCain was still holding out the hope that he could choose a good friend, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut, a Republican close to the campaign said. Mr. McCain had also been interested in another favorite, former Gov. Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania.

But both men favor abortion rights, anathema to the Christian conservatives who make up a crucial base of the Republican Party. As word leaked out that Mr. McCain was seriously considering the men, the campaign was bombarded by outrage from influential conservatives who predicted an explosive floor fight at the convention and vowed rejection of Mr. Ridge or Mr. Lieberman by the delegates.

Perhaps more important, several Republicans said, Mr. McCain was getting advice that if he did not do something to shake up the race, his campaign would be stuck on a potentially losing trajectory.

With time running out — and as Mr. McCain discarded two safer choices, Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, as too predictable — he turned to Ms. Palin. He had his first face-to-face interview with her on Thursday and offered her the job moments later. Advisers to Mr. Pawlenty and another of the finalists on Mr. McCain’s list described an intensive vetting process for those candidates that lasted one to two months.

“They didn’t seriously consider her until four or five days from the time she was picked, before she was asked, maybe the Thursday or Friday before,” said a Republican close to the campaign. “This was really kind of rushed at the end, because John didn’t get what he wanted. He wanted to do Joe or Ridge.”

In the final stages, two Republicans familiar with the process said, Mr. McCain’s campaign manager, Rick Davis, emerged as a key advocate for Ms. Palin.

Mr. McCain’s advisers said repeatedly on Monday that Ms. Palin was “thoroughly vetted,” a process that would have included a review of all financial and legal records as well as a criminal background check. A McCain aide said the campaign was well aware of the ethics investigation and had looked into it.

“It was obviously something that anybody Googling Sarah Palin knew was in the news and there was a very thorough vetting done on that and also on the daughter,” the aide said.

People familiar with the process said Ms. Palin had responded to a standard form with more than 70 questions. Although The Washington Post quoted advisers to Mr. McCain on Sunday as saying Ms. Palin had been subjected to an F.B.I. background check, an F.B.I. official said Monday the bureau did not vet potential candidates and had not known of her selection until it was made public.

In Alaska, several state leaders and local officials said they knew of no efforts by the McCain campaign to find out more information about Ms. Palin before the announcement of her selection, Although campaigns are typically discreet when they make inquiries into potential running mates, officials in Alaska said Monday they thought it was peculiar that no one in the state had the slightest hint that Ms. Palin might be under consideration.

“They didn’t speak to anyone in the Legislature, they didn’t speak to anyone in the business community,” said Lyda Green, the State Senate president, who lives in Wasilla, where Ms. Palin served as mayor.

Representative Gail Phillips, a Republican and former speaker of the State House, said the widespread surprise in Alaska when Ms. Palin was named to the ticket made her wonder how intensively the McCain campaign had vetted her.

“I started calling around and asking, and I have not been able to find one person that was called,” Ms. Phillips said. “I called 30 to 40 people, political leaders, business leaders, community leaders. Not one of them had heard. Alaska is a very small community, we know people all over, but I haven’t found anybody who was asked anything.”

The current mayor of Wasilla, Dianne M. Keller, said she had not heard of any efforts to look into Ms. Palin’s background. And Randy Ruedrich, the state Republican Party chairman, said he knew nothing of any vetting that had been conducted.

State Senator Hollis French, a Democrat who is directing the ethics investigation, said that no one asked him about the allegations. “I heard not a word, not a single contact,” he said.

A number of Republicans said the McCain campaign had to some degree tied its hands in its effort to keep the selection process so secret.

“If you really want it to be a surprise, the circle of people that you’re going to allow to know about it is going to be small, and that’s just the nature of it,” said Dan Bartlett, a former counselor to President Bush.

Former McCain strategists disagreed on whether it would have been useful for Ms. Palin’s name to have been more publicly floated before her selection so that issues like the trooper investigation and her daughter’s pregnancy might have already been aired and not seemed so new at the time of her announcement.

“It’s a risk,” said Dan Schnur, a former McCain aide who now directs the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics at the University of Southern California. “No matter how great the candidate, it’s a significant risk to put someone on the ticket” who hasn’t been publicly scrutinized.

“They obviously felt it was worth the risk to rev up the base and potentially reach out to Clinton supporters,” Mr. Schnur said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...l?ref=politics

What a buffoon. He couldn't have anyone he wanted and so made a brash decision like a petulant child. And you want this moron deciding the direction of this nation and how it deals in international affairs? Not by half!

More proof that McCain lacks the experience and judgment required for the highest office in the land, not that any more was needed; the guy is a raving loon.

It has been said that McCain takes the judgment of whomever has his ear at the moment and this time it was Rick Davis. Rick would have been better served selecting himself :BL:

Ð 8)

albed 02-09-08 04:24 AM

Damn it's like propaganda diarrhea time; Palin must be pretty upsetting to certain types. But the fact that almost nothing is about her political views or character indicates there is little to object to.

Ðiego 02-09-08 04:55 AM

Oh really? So, you don't think America will mind that she is against Sex-Ed? For abstinence only? Against contraception, even for married couples? For teaching creationism as science in the schools?

You don't think it matters that she was, and most probably still is, at least at heart, a member of the Alaska Independence Party?

Maybe you believe no one will notice that when speaking of her decision to carry her Down's Syndrome baby to term she was speaking of her having a choice and that when she announced her daughter had decided to have her baby and marry her boyfriend, she was again speaking of choice; the exact same choice she would deny to the women of America?

Or that perhaps no one will care that her first action in office as mayor was to fire the entire board? That she attempted to get books banned from the town library? Staged a personal vendetta against her ex-brother-in-law?

People may well overlook the fact that her first speech had lies in it such as being against earmark spending to the point of turning down Congressional funding for the 'Bridge To Nowhere' or that she opposed political corruption?

'Almost nothing is about her political views or character indicates there is little to object to'? You are off your tiny little misguided mind.

albed 02-09-08 05:48 AM

And another gusher gets blown out your ass; "probably-at least at heart". Honesty just isn't in your psyche.

Ðiego 02-09-08 06:16 AM

Well now, if Obama had been in the Communist party in college, how would you look at him being a Democrat today? Double standards much?

Has it been proven she was in the Alaska Independence Party? yes. Has she shown she is no longer in tune with their beliefs? Not at all.

In fact, quite the opposite. When asked, jsut last month, about her chance of being selected as McCain VP pick her words were, and I'm quoting here, "As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I'm used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans.."

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ys4HGbiONY

So when it comes to 'blow' and 'ass' it seems McCain has that covered.

Mazer 02-09-08 07:05 AM

Um, what's so bad about the AIP? If Alaska became its own nation I'd be tempted to attain dual citizenship and go live there myself.

Ðiego 02-09-08 07:15 AM

Why don't you get an early start then, beat the rush :BL:

Anyone supporting any state seceding from the Union is a fringe group and doesn't have the best interest of the US at heart. 'The' prerequisite for running the office of Vice President of the United States of America is holding the interests of the United States of America as your primary aspiration. Anything less is treason is it not?

albed 02-09-08 07:56 AM

I think the best interests of the people are what a candidate should be dedicated to.