P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another Distributed Computing thread (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=10900)

ssj4_android 02-05-02 03:24 PM

Another Distributed Computing thread

Is anyone running distributed computing stuff? I decided I'd try the project that tries to find a cure for cancer. Anyone else?

theknife 02-05-02 03:30 PM

I thought the SETI project sounded pretty interesting, but not enough to compell me to actually check it out....:RE:

indiana_jones 02-05-02 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by theknife
I thought the SETI project sounded pretty interesting, but not enough to compell me to actually check it out....:RE:
hey - maybe they share files on alpha centauri and you are the first getting a video clip from there :beer:

indy

ssj4_android 02-05-02 03:40 PM

I don't believe in aliens, and even if I did, if they're tons of lightyears away, what good is just knowing there might still be life on other planets?

TankGirl 02-05-02 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by indiana_jones
hey - maybe they share files on alpha centauri and you are the first getting a video clip from there :beer:

indy

:AP: :AP:
And what would the MPAA of Alpha Centauri say about that! :CG: :BL:

- tg ;)

indiana_jones 02-05-02 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ssj4_android
I don't believe in aliens, and even if I did, if they're tons of lightyears away, what good is just knowing there might still be life on other planets?
i wouldn't feel such a VLAIBB any longer.
btw1 - 'think they are all very cruel monsters - hoover subspace with hyper light speeds - crunchin' macdonalds and burgerkings all over the galactics - and never wash their feet (really wonder why)

btw2 - maybe we should start sending up kaza-lite for easier communication.

btw3 - all xxAA's are thrown into a black hole where they can share their weights for infinite gravity.

indy

theknife 02-05-02 04:05 PM

Quote:

Knowledge of intelligent life on other planets would change everything....

indiana_jones 02-05-02 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by theknife
Knowledge of intelligent life on other planets would change everything....
Knowledge of intelligent life on our planet changed nothing....

HaXor 02-05-02 05:19 PM

Knowladge only increases Knowladge - where ever it comes from.
Maybe we have something to share or maybe they have somrthing to give........even if it takes millions of years its still worth contrabuting .:b: :b:

H@Xor

:hax:

Scyth 02-05-02 05:43 PM

I'm running the dnet client.

edit: Did my original post that sound braggy? I'm concerned it might have. Editted now.

KevC 02-05-02 07:09 PM

In my opinion, if there were extraterrestrial life out there, and they were more intelligent than us, I think they'd find us first.

And I really don't care much for them, unless they can end all our miseries with scientific/technological wonders and not conquer and make us their pets.

But as distritubed computing goes, I think if you are oging to choose one, Folding@Home is the best one to run.

There's also GIMPS, the search for Mersenne Primes, but I think folding is more important/helpful.

HAL9000 02-05-02 10:45 PM

I've been running the KaZaA client since March of 2002.

BuzzB2K 03-05-02 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KevC
In my opinion, if there were extraterrestrial life out there, and they were more intelligent than us,
they would do whatever it took to avoid all contact with our world.:ARE: :afi: :ARE:

colinmacc 03-05-02 04:08 AM

United Devices

Getting back to the original question...

I've been running the UD program for a couple of months now, to find possible treatments for cancer, and I hardly notice it's there except for the icon in the taskbar! It's very stable and inobtrusive.

It only uses bandwidth once every 10 hours or so, when it communicates its result to the server and receives the next protein target/molecule combinations to test.

It's a nice bit of gear, and gives you a nice feeling that you're doing something good and worthwhile! :)

Xman 03-05-02 11:11 AM

Re: Another Distributed Computing thread

Quote:

Is anyone running distributed computing stuff? I decided I'd try the project that tries to find a cure for cancer. Anyone else?
I take it you're referring to Parabon? We've been using it for a couple of weeks now, having placed it on the server so it doesn't bother us. All small bits help, I guess.

Malk-a-mite 03-05-02 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KevC
But as distritubed computing goes, I think if you are oging to choose one, Folding@Home is the best one to run.
My turn to play me too for KevC

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/Cosm/

Folding@home is a great project.
Throw in your spare cycles if you can.

goldie 03-05-02 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HAL9000
I've been running the KaZaA client since March of 2002.
:BL:

ssj4_android 03-05-02 02:46 PM

No, I use UD THINK like colinmacc. It usually does a pretty good job of using EXACTLY your unused CPU cycles. so your CPU is constantly at 100 %, but it doesn't impact much. It impacts my games though :(.