P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about WPNP protocol (WinMX) (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=10340)

hda12 06-04-02 10:19 AM

Question about WPNP protocol (WinMX)

On WinMX i can find many MP3s even from unknown or obscure bands. I seens, i can find the MP3s from almost every user, who is online.

On the contrary i can find only few MP3s from the same bands in Gnutella.

My question is, why. How it is possible that the WPNP 2.6 protocol scales nicely and that even without supernodes or a similar technology?

TankGirl 06-04-02 10:46 AM

Hi hda12 and welcome aboard! :beer:

Even if WinMX doesn't advertise WPNP having supernodes á la FastTrack it has a very similar system where some nodes form 'primary connections' (=supernode) and the rest 'secondary connections' (=normal peer) in the network. Gnutella is also following the technological trend with its own 'ultrapeers'. It seems that of these three networks WinMX has managed to solve the scaling challenge most efficiently so far.

Another factor increasing the amount of shared material on WPNP is the good bandwidth/queuing controls of WinMX which make it possible to share large libraries even on dial-ups. The downside of this are of course the longer queues that often test the patience of WinMX newbies.

- tg ;)

JackSpratts 06-04-02 11:45 AM

hi hda12, welcome to nu and enjoy your stay!:tu: :beer:

if winmx could solve the cueing issue, which their new multi-source program is attempting to, it might be a near perfect replacement for fasttrack. winmx originally had the edge, as the older client with more users and more options, but fastracks' superior technology blew them away and continues to do so today, hijackware notwithstanding. as fastrack has proven, there's more to an efficient network than supernodes and multi sourcing of course, but it's now the price of admission for even the newest and smallest networks (keep an eye out for blubster and others). as always, this game is interesting if nothing else.

- js.

HAL9000 06-04-02 12:04 PM

Hello hda12, Welcome to the Napsterites.

WPNP network structure
and you might to able to find some more WinMX FAQ

goldie 06-04-02 12:30 PM

and another.............

WELCOME hda12!!

:beer: :beer:

ssj4_android 06-04-02 04:44 PM

Does 2.6 use that too? That looks more like 3.0's

napho 06-04-02 05:07 PM

All I know is my modem lights are solid even when there aren't any ULs or DLs. Something must be going on. They're intermittent on Gnutella.

TankGirl 06-04-02 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ssj4_android
Does 2.6 use that too? That looks more like 3.0's
I don't think 3.0 is not that different from 2.6 in its 'supernode' architecture even if they promise 'greatly improved decentralized networking technologies'. Multisourcing is probably be the biggest novelty, and some serious revamping has also been done to the user interface as we have seen from the betas. WinMX has never been too outspoken about their technical details but we should find out in a month or two if there are some major architectural changes in the network.

Quote:

WinMX:
New features that will be included in v3.0:
- Fully redesigned interface
- Multi-source downloading
- Better bandwidth management features
- Greatly improved decentralized networking technologies
- Online forum for finding and posting OpenNap server addresses
- Many more new features...
- tg ;)

JackSpratts 08-04-02 08:48 AM

damn, it's thier interface i like the most. please, not another "easy to use" gui. always happens, they change the best thing about a program and leave the real whoppers 'till another day.

- js.