P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Microsoft offers guidance on p2p (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=11611)

Willow 06-06-02 04:05 AM

Microsoft offers guidance on p2p

"A more effective solution would be for entertainment companies to invest in digital distribution. Few companies have made much content available online, yet the popularity of file sharing among music fans suggests that the market is large. Making legitimate content available easily and affordably would help to counter the illegal supply."

Links :

The Register's article

The Microsoft essay.

BuzzB2K 06-06-02 07:27 AM

And I would bet that a part of their vision involves Windows Media Audio (.wma) - No Thank You Bill. :N:

JackSpratts 06-06-02 08:21 AM

"suggests that the market is large"

now there's an understatement. a one click virus free d/l for entire cds, artwork and promo materials with a one click "make cd" option would be HUGE.

if the price fairly reflected the work put in by the pc owner (bandwidth, blank cds, paper, ink, time) i think the business would explode.

- js.

Snarkridden 06-06-02 11:44 AM

De-Centralised CD factories?

Basically what Js suggested is the old idea of de-centralising the production of CD's, where the Music Stores make up your CD's to order, while you have that coffee, sticky bun and a chat in the cafe'

Lots of possiblities there, cuts out the distributors, all that is needed is ONE (and possible a spare) copy of each master, and millions of blanks, plus a bank of CD blowers...

So whats the difference? We have something similar already, only its called "Home Copying", OK maybe the artwork is not up to the same quality as the original, though it could be, why even the old Jewel case is going out in favour of the soft wallet or folded card container.

Seems to me the Music industry are missing out on a massive market here, set the instore price carefully, and who knows, many that now copy CD's from friends, or from the Net, might decide the effort is not really worth it, and go to their local megastor for a CD purchase, a meal, a chat even a discussion with like minded fans, makes the buying of CD's into a Social
occasion, saves money...

Now where are the catches?

Snark..

JS's quote ..

now there's an understatement. a one click virus free d/l for entire cds, artwork and promo materials with a one click "make cd" option would be HUGE.

ranger121 06-06-02 05:17 PM

Microshaft?

Are we talking the the same people that gave us Windoze ME, and then tried to convince us that XP and all its incompatability is a good thing?

These are the people offering advice to the music industry?

We are all doomed.